turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cost my nephew some money this week!

Started by g8rvet, March 09, 2017, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

We were building some stuff in my shop and got to talking about turkey loads he was using.  So we built a target and took it out to 40 yards.  He shot it with his 3.5" #4 turkey loads.  He is a big boy and said he hates target shooting with them, although it never bothers him when shooting.  We looked at his pattern and I told him I would not hunt with it - too many open holes and not well centered.  He was kind of dejected and said "Maybe that is why I missed one last year".  Ummm, yeah!   So I looked through the shells I had that had not shot well out of my 870 and gave him some Hevi Shot Mag Blend Reduced recoil in 2 3/4" (I had actually grabbed them one time a few years back and thought they were 20s) and we set up a shoot'n'see target at 40 yards.  Great pattern!  he loved the low recoil.  I also had a box and a half of 3" hevi 6 and he shot those too.  He found his hunting load!  Great, even full pattern.  I gave him those boxes but don't think he will be going back to the cheaper loads in the gun.  I told him he could buy other lead loads and other chokes and play around, but money is tight for him and he found a killer with his existing choke, but now he will have to pay more for shells at some point in the future. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

wmn2

That's great. I'm going tomorrow to pattern magblends and hevi #7. Both 3.5". I had been putting off buying them, but there's a rebate now so I figured now or never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

He shouldn't complain. That's a fair trade!!! :icon_thumright:

tha bugman

Good to hear!  My mentor would say don't skimp on the ammo boys you work too hard to get him in range to let him get away!

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

wvmntnhick

Nice of you to help him out g-vet. That's what family is for after all. Well, depends on the member I suppose...  ::)