turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Carcass disposal on hunting trips.

Started by blake_08, March 07, 2017, 05:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake_08

Hello everyone, I'm going on a 6 day Rio hunt in april on public land 5 hours from home and i was wondering, what do you guys do with your turkey carcasses after you kill one away from home? There's 4 of us going, so carrying the whole bird back home in a cooler could be a problem if we all tag out. At home, i just remove all meat, fan, beard, and spurs and bury the body on my private property but i'm not sure what to do in this case. And i'm guessing it's probably illegal to leave the body on the WMA. Any thoughts? State is Oklahoma.

Happy

Find a farmer with a dog? Just a thought

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Blong

I have always just thrown mine in a ditch or thick fencerow after I removed the meat, beard and spurs. Coyotes, coons , possum or magnets will take care of the rest.

stinkpickle

I'm not sure what Oklahoma requires for transporting birds, but I usually bag up the leftover parts and toss 'em in a dumpster.

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Ericbrooks

Quote from: Blong on March 07, 2017, 06:06:52 PM
I have always just thrown mine in a ditch or thick fencerow after I removed the meat, beard and spurs. Coyotes, coons , possum or magnets will take care of the rest.
This right here. Other critters gotta eat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

Ditch, creek, brush pile or dumpster. Depending on where I clean it.

hobbes

I used to toss them in the woods on private family land, but I think it's rare that disposal on a WMA is legal regardless if the critters will clean it up.  Allowing it turns into a pile of birds by every public land hunting spot.  WMAs are  typically used by more folks than just hunters and a pile of carcasses for Fido to get into isn't the best message to send.  I know it's illegal in CO and MT.

I'd suggest bagging it, as mentioned above, and tossing it in the hotel or campground dumpster where you are staying.

Also, make sure of the state's wanton waist laws.  In many states you are required to keep legs, thighs, and breast.  MT requires wings be kept also and at least one leg naturally attached to the carcass until at your permanent residence.

Marc

Reading the post, I assumed he is more concerned about legally transporting birds.

In California, all birds must have a wing attached to the meat for transport...  Breasting a bird is really not an option, and I would guess that carrying whole picked birds with the wings would be space consuming on such a trip...

Currently with my ducks, I have figured out a way to pick them, cut the meat off the breast bone, and cut at the wing-joints, so that the wings are still attached.  Without that breast bone in the bird, they take up far less space.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Blong on March 07, 2017, 06:06:52 PM
X2

Gobspur

Like others I've always just thrown the carcass in an out-of-the way brushy area.  That is legal most of where I hunt.  When traveling in other places I have bagged and thrown in dumpster.

Gooserbat

Trust me there's enough yotes and they are very happy to clean up your mess.  Find a ravine and ditch it preferably away from a road. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

2eagles

Copied from Iowa dnr web page.

Dumping a game carcass in a road ditch or other public property lot creates a nuisance and is subject to enforcement under the littering laws.

trkehunr93

I would contact Oklahoma Game dept. and find out the regs., better to know from the rulemakers.
You could just pluck them, and split them down the middle at the breastbone to make them fit in a cooler better.  Lotta wasted meat when their breasted out, I use as much of a turkey as I can now (breasted out my share of birds), leg meat is great when braised or taken off the bone and ground up with the thigh meat it makes great burgers or sausage.  Bones can be roasted and used to make stock.  Just some thoughts.

turkeyfoot

the fine is super high in NC due to people dumping deer carcasses. Just use good common sense don't toss it beside the parking areas get away from trails and let the yotes do their thing