OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Will I sound better with a custom glass call?

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 02, 2017, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjnengr

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 02, 2017, 03:49:39 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 02, 2017, 03:47:52 PM
First you need to be proficient on the call, if you have that skill then Yes a better quality call will sound "better". You can take the best call made and put it in unskilled hands and it won't sound like squat, take someone who has mastered the call and they can take a "basic" call and make it sing.

MK M GOBL

So, probably a waste of money until I master pot calls with the one I have?

No not necessarily.  I kinda agree with 357Magnole about custom/better calls being easier to run than crappy ones.

I figure as long as you are decent, you will sound better on a better call. 

My first pot call was a higher end call and that's what I learned on.  I think what MK M GOBL was trying to get across was that if you don't have the technique down, you will sound crappy on a crappy call as well as a nicer call. 

And as its been said many times, there are store-bought calls that are good and there are custom ones that are crappy.  It helps knowing the manufacturer/call maker's reputation.  Also, a lot of pot calls that are sold in big box stores have packages that can be opened without tearing up the package so you can at least try it.

deerbasshunter3

The call that I am looking to get is the Dead End Game Calls Roadblock Cedar Glass Call.

http://www.deadendgamecalls.com/store/p33/Roadblock_Cedar_Glass_Call.html

Not sure if anybody has experience with this call, but this is the particular call I am looking at.

SteelerFan

I don't have any knowledge or experience with Deadend...

But my advice - as others mentioned - go with a proven call so at the end of the day, if you don't sound "good" - you"ll know it's you and not the call.

The nice part about a custom call, most times you'll get to hear the call before you buy it (next best thing to hands on playing). Here is a link to calls that Mike Yingling has made:

https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey/videos

You can scroll through his video files and listen to the different calls and find something you like. Other calls you can find in the sound file section, and some you can just "trust" as they are time tested and proven from callmakers.

Contact a callmaker on this forum. tell them what you are looking for and ask them to play a call for you. That's the other cool thing about customs. You'll have a call made for YOU.

WillowRidgeCalls

Quote from: scoot12 on March 03, 2017, 11:44:54 AM
  Listen to real hens and you will soon realize cadence and rythym of you calling is more important then the sound of the call. 
The sound of a call only gives a user confidence, the better you like the sound of it, the better you'll play it.The sound of a call will make no difference if you can't run a call decent, as long as your cadence and rythum is spot on you'll fill tags no matter what the call sounds like, BUT, calling is only a small part of it. It takes a combination of a lot of things to be an effective turkey hunter, set-ups, woodsmanship, knowledge of the lay of the land all play a big part. You'll get 100's of opinions of who's calls you need. Pick a call you like the sound of and learn to use it correctly, no matter what surface is in it. Everyone likes a certain sound, and to them that's the best call to use.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

SteelerFan

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on March 05, 2017, 10:45:54 AM
Quote from: scoot12 on March 03, 2017, 11:44:54 AM
  Listen to real hens and you will soon realize cadence and rythym of you calling is more important then the sound of the call. 
The sound of a call only gives a user confidence, the better you like the sound of it, the better you'll play it.The sound of a call will make no difference if you can't run a call decent, as long as your cadence and rythum is spot on you'll fill tags no matter what the call sounds like, BUT, calling is only a small part of it. It takes a combination of a lot of things to be an effective turkey hunter, set-ups, woodsmanship, knowledge of the lay of the land all play a big part. You'll get 100's of opinions of who's calls you need. Pick a call you like the sound of and learn to use it correctly, no matter what surface is in it. Everyone likes a certain sound, and to them that's the best call to use.

:z-winnersmiley:

joker

Will a custom glass call sound better than your Primos Ole Betsy slate call?

Well, absolutely, probably and maybe.

It all depends on the sound you like, the sound a call can make,  what striker is used and the way the call sounds when you play it ( how you play and condition it and the striker).

I have many custom calls in many price ranges that I think sound fantastic, I have also had many custom calls that I thought sounded terable.  The same can be said for production calls.  Though there are production calls that I think sound good and will make great hunting calls, very few production calls will have that special sound I like.

This can be said for each type of pot call, glass, slate, aluminum, copper, ect...

Good luck with finding calls you really like. It may take some time but it sure is a lot of fun.

Steve