Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Does anyone use a regular backpack instead of a vest?

Started by flintlockgirl, February 28, 2017, 08:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlockgirl

I was curious instead of using a vest if anyone still uses a backpack to store their  gear?

TauntoHawk

last year I ran a backpack with some call specific pockets attached to the waist belt.. worked pretty good, carries weight better than a vest  and if i want a cushion or lounger chair either can simply be attached to the straps, but the calls are not as accessible when seated like a vest.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tha bugman

My buddy uses a fanny pack plus a cushion and he loves it

SFCSNOW

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 28, 2017, 09:37:22 AM
last year I ran a backpack with some call specific pockets attached to the waist belt.. worked pretty good, carries weight better than a vest  and if i want a cushion or lounger chair either can simply be attached to the straps, but the calls are not as accessible when seated like a vest.

+1
I'm trying a vest again this year but have a feeling I'll be back to my pack.  It's just what I'm used too.  Once I sit down, I place my pack between my legs or to my right side. Everything is accessible and organized to my liking.

catman529

I don't carry anything right now but have used a backpack and a waist pack in the past. Never owned a vest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

Quote from: SFCSNOW on February 28, 2017, 10:48:21 AM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 28, 2017, 09:37:22 AM

+1
I'm trying a vest again this year but have a feeling I'll be back to my pack.  It's just what I'm used too.  Once I sit down, I place my pack between my legs or to my right side. Everything is accessible and organized to my liking.

I might go back to a vest too not sure have 44 days to decide I guess.. Wish I could build my own Vest
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

flintlockgirl

With call specific pockets as someone mentioned, thats what I meant, thanks. If I ever get 5 minutes I would like to make another backpack with call specific pockets and have a flap come around each side of the waist for a cpl pockets waistline. Like I said, if I get the time, I would like to put one together and just show it to get some opinions, thanks for the input. Might be a few guys that have our backpacks here, not sure.

fallhnt

I used a backpack for years. But after buying a vest I'll never go back. I am better organized now. The pack was just full of stuff to dig through
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

West Augusta

I would love to have a turkey hunting specific pack for hunting with specialized pockets but they will never make one so I use a vest.  Haven't had a good one in years.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

ChiefBubba

Quote from: flintlockgirl on February 28, 2017, 05:15:59 PM
With call specific pockets as someone mentioned, thats what I meant, thanks. If I ever get 5 minutes I would like to make another backpack with call specific pockets and have a flap come around each side of the waist for a cpl pockets waistline. Like I said, if I get the time, I would like to put one together and just show it to get some opinions, thanks for the input. Might be a few guys that have our backpacks here, not sure.

I have a backpack and just about everything you've ever made. Including the original lounger sack. Lol
Bubba

larry9988

I carry a camouflage hand satchel and a turkey seat. I do have to dig through it, but I can carry everything I need and then some. After I sit down I just open it up and put what I think I will need on top. I carry several call, thermocell, extra head net, gloves, pruning shears, binoculars, extra shells, TP, and a few other things. It has a shoulder strap that I can use to free up my hands if I need to. I used a vest for years, but I probably won't go back to one. I hunt in Georgia, and late season can get really warm so no vest is a more comfortable way to go. I know it's not the way to go for everyone, but it works for me.

Will

I use a messenger bag but thing a backpack with call pockets that fit various calls would be awesome. Would be nice if you could get it custom made to what you carry.

KS-Hoyt-Hunter

I switched to a backpack last year. I liked it better than a vest. Especially for long sits since I can carry snacks and water easier. I use a carabiner to attach a cushion if I am running and gunning. Sometimes even strap a lounger chair on the bottom of it. It can be annoying digging for calls. I have a badlands pack so it has external pockets that I can access my calls pretty easily.

It really is a plus/minus kind of deal for me. Each have their strong points. But I'm gonna stick with a pack for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs Up

I've gone full circle from nothing but BDU and shirt pockets to various waist and back packs to vests. I'm trending back to a combo of shirt/pants pockets supplemented with a waist pack for friction calls and comforts. They're arguably less organized than a vest, but the pockets are usually more secure and I don't lose things like I did occasionally with a vest.

What I think would be optimum would be a small, single strap sling-style pack like Maxpedition makes. Those can be efficiently shifted from your back to your front...minimal movement needed to place it to your side or between your legs when sitting.  I wish Maxpedition produced one that was more hunter friendly (with camo patterns and quiet access).

Ebrewer

We have been helping hunters find a different way to get out and hunt for years.  We combine some pack and vest concepts to help get your gear in the field more comfortably.  I know when I have taken a youth in the field my hand are full with my own gear let alone the youths gear.  So we have designed the Blind Hog to carry a blind, chairs, decoys, weapon, and accessories.

http://sophuntinggear.com/products/?route=product/product&path=26&product_id=53&manufacturer_id=3

We also have a chair and vest combo called the Ground'n Pound Chair System.  This is a vest with a self supporting chair that gives more of a pack style hunting vest.  Their is many ways to make a successful hunt.

Www.gobeardbuster.com

Hope this helps