OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Diaphragm purring

Started by compton30, February 24, 2017, 01:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compton30

So I've been working on mastering the diaphragm calls every day since December and I can perform almost every call to a level I think would be satisfactory to kill a turkey, except for the purr. I can't do the "gargle" no matter how many different methods Google recommends, but I can flutter my tongue. I can get a "vibrating" sound out of the call but it doesn't seem to be louder than the amount of air I'm pushing to make my tongue flutter and it isn't close to being right. I'm gonna keep at it and trying different things but I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice to help shorten my learning curve.

jblackburn

for "good enough" to kill a turkey, try fluttering your lips. its not perfect, but depending on the call it can sound ok. I have my best luck with V cuts or aggressive cuts like the Gooserbat Heckler when lip fluttering.

I'm still working not he throat purr, I'm about to the "good enough" stage, but not where I want to be.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

compton30

Thanks for telling me the lip flutter would be serviceable to kill a turkey because I was concerned they would hear the fluttering lip sound that I usually make before the purring comes. I'm probably not going to be a good mouth caller for a long while but I'm stubborn enough to keep grinding at it. Definitely one of the reasons I love this forum, so many people have been where I am and can offer a different perspective from mine and give advice. Thanks JBlackburn!

perrytrails

YouTube Scott Ellis on purring. Takes awhile to pick it up for some.

In the meantime Practice what I call closed mouth calling. What I mean is crack your lips open ever so slightly and do a cluck and or maybe a few yelps. Try to maintain the cracked open lips.

With practice you can really make a muffled realistic call that. It is a deadly finishing call.

Works great for a attention getter at first light when he's on the limb too... don't over do it!

Bowguy

Make your lips wet. It helped many to "break" lips upon trying. Use your tongue to wet lips

GobbleNut

Quite honestly, unless you are trying to learn to purr properly with a mouth call for your own satisfaction or to impress your buddies, I wouldn't worry about it.  The number of hunters that can do a accurate purr with a mouth call in a hunting situation (that is, when a gobbler is close, the hunter is excited, nervous, and has a dry mouth, and other "maladies") is dismally small.  You are much better off using a pot call or just your natural voice to do the purr when there appears to be a real need for it in a hunting situation. 

Having said that, if you really want to learn to purr accurately with a mouth call, you first need to identify the type of call that is going to work best for you and your calling mechanics.  All calls are not created equal for good purring, and combining that fact with the varying methods of air control and tongue and lip "flutter" that different folks use, it is almost a lost cause to try to explain to someone how to accomplish a good mouth call purr.

Bottom line is that you've just got to keep working at it until you figure it out.  If you decide it means that much to you to get it right, you will eventually get there by experimentation and practice. 

tha bugman

Joe Slaton did a great video on purring, but I can't remember where?  Youtube or maybe his website MotherLode turkey calls?

Happy

Killed plenty of birds by purring with the lip fluttering method and then just decided to learn the gargling method which I think sounds more natural. It was a pain in the you know what for me and took the better part of two years to master. Hasn't made much difference to the turkeys to be honest though.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

All you have to do is THIS: (lol - easier watched than done, but Scott makes it seem easy)

https://youtu.be/uL-lfYCuzEQ

:help:

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: jblackburn on February 24, 2017, 01:32:42 AM
for "good enough" to kill a turkey, try fluttering your lips. its not perfect, but depending on the call it can sound ok. I have my best luck with V cuts or aggressive cuts like the Gooserbat Heckler when lip fluttering.

I'm still working not he throat purr, I'm about to the "good enough" stage, but not where I want to be.
x2  :icon_thumright:

Jbird22

Stephan Richardson explained it better to me than any explanation I've ever seen/read. If you can growl like Roy Orbison in Pretty Woman you can purr on a mouth call. The gargling/growling method is by far the most authentic and is easier to control when it comes to volume.

deerbasshunter3

I can't remember who made the video, but by using his method, I picked up on it in only a few days. What it says to do is put the back of your tongue onto the call, and gargle. This has been the easiest method for me, and the quickest to pick up.

boatpaddle

If you can roll an "R" like they do in the ruffles have ridges commercial.....You have a great start to purring...

Good Luck....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

wvmntnhick

Apparently I've bee doing it wrong for many years. I move the call farther forward in my mouth and roll and "R" like others have mentioned. By moving it forward (and I mean substantially) I've gotten better volume than if I'd left it in the back of my mouth. It's worked well for me but honestly, I don't purr often enough to matter. Once the bird has committed, I shut up anymore. Been guilty of over calling birds and with 2 y/o birds, it often won't much matter either way. With an older bird (and I've surprisingly lucked into a few over the years) the majority of my purring has come from a pot call. Not saying that it's a useless skill but I'd bet the vast majority of birds have been killed without the need of purring. Sure, many guys will use it but it doesn't change the fact that the majority of birds were killed with simple helps and clucks before a lot of hunters have learned to purr. Heck, I hunted with a guy last year that admittedly killed his first dozen or so birds with nothing more than clucks on a pot call because it was the only sound he was capable of making at that point.