turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which State-MS or AL

Started by Rzrbac, February 20, 2017, 06:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

I'm kickin around an out of state turkey hunt. Never hunted MS or AL, if any was picking, which state and why?

Factors that  are important to me are public land to hunt and number of birds. I prefer hills to flatland.

I'm not looking for anybody to give up their spots or even county , just general info, thanks.

Bowguy

I'm a northerner but a fellow I know is a pro staffer for a call company n hunts all over. He said Alabama is tough w not a lot of gobbling. He attributed it to lots of pressure. No expert here in that area but this is what he told me.

guesswho

MS, because there are very few if any turkeys in AL. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Meadow Valley Man

Spitten and drummen

I can tell you having hunted both states on public land , they are both pretty equal. Seasons open early down here and the public land is over run with out of state hunters. I can just about guarantee if you kill a bird down here , you will earn it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Fullfan

Tenn is where it is at. I have hunted in at least 10 diff states. I heard more and saw more birds in Tenn than any of the others. Tenn is now what Missouri was 15 years ago..
Don't gobble at me...

Blong

Might as well through north Louisiana in there too. If it's not a draw hunt, you have to deal with some of the best and worst hunters in the world on public ground in Al, La or Ms.

littlebull

The old coon walks a late log

Fieldturkey

Here we go. This info should be Pm only guys. For local hunters sake.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Fieldturkey on February 21, 2017, 06:53:10 AM

It does not bother me in the least to tell someone come on down and hunt this ms public land. Trust me , its already full of out of state hunters. Come on down and test your skill. Im not saying they are the hardest birds in the world to hunt , but you better be ready to walk and hunt hard. They will make you pull out your hair. They can be killed for sure , but they are tough and educated quick. Read Jim Spencers book on tough turkeys. There is a couple of chapters on ms public land hunting. Good luck.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

SFCSNOW

Some of my most memorable hunts were on MS public land...good and bad. Plenty of birds in certain WMAs but PLENTY if hunters as well. Actually had a few run ins with out of state guys that purposely busted hunts because they knew they were camping/hunting several mores days in the area. Their thought was as long as the bird survived that hunt, they could come back in the next morning and hunt him.
If you come to MS, bring a mountain bike. It helps a little on some of the WMAs. Most are good about closing off the roads to vehicle traffic.

dirt road ninja

When you looking at embarking on this expedition?

tha bugman

Quote from: guesswho on February 20, 2017, 06:39:56 PM
Aint none here.. All ours migrated back east.....

littlebull

Quote from: tha bugman on February 21, 2017, 01:48:52 PM
Quote from: guesswho on February 20, 2017, 06:39:56 PM
Aint none here.. All ours migrated back east.....

x2
The old coon walks a late log

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 21, 2017, 08:43:35 AM
Quote from: Fieldturkey on February 21, 2017, 06:53:10 AM

It does not bother me in the least to tell someone come on down and hunt this ms public land. Trust me , its already full of out of state hunters. Come on down and test your skill. Im not saying they are the hardest birds in the world to hunt , but you better be ready to walk and hunt hard. They will make you pull out your hair. They can be killed for sure , but they are tough and educated quick. Read Jim Spencers book on tough turkeys. There is a couple of chapters on ms public land hunting. Good luck.

Amen to that
Hunted public land birds in Ms. for close to 20-25 years and they are some hard headed birds to do battle with.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase