turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One handed calling tips/tricks

Started by troutfisher13111, February 18, 2017, 04:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

Hello gents. I've been working on improving my one handed calling. I can call with one hand well enough to kill a tom, but it's a bit nasally and a little lifeless. I don't get that nice thump at the end of my yelp without a two handed sound chamber. So, I'm hoping to get some good discussion going on one handed suction calling tips, tricks, and techniques.

Post them here please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gergg

I had to laugh at myself because I made a sound chamber out of an old piece of thin cardboard, taped it to the end of a trumpet so I could play it one handed with the same effect of a 2 handed effort...it worked damn good but sure looked silly.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

perrytrails

Been trying this myself too. It's decent but hoping someone has some instruction or good tips.

I've got a J1 yelper from age that doesn't need much back pressure, it really runs well for me in a single cupped hand.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Hopefully Nitro will chime in on this.  I can't do it well either.  I will say Anthony Ellis is making a pipe style trumpet now that can be played with one hand.  You can check it out on his Facebook page.  It sounds really good.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

SteelerFan

I'm right there with you. I can do it, but it takes me a couple of adjustments to get going. I will say, one hand trumpet has a lot of similar air chamber configurations to a short reed goose call. With thumb and index in fixed position, the remaining 3 finger "cup" makes it or breaks it.

Then again, I could be completely wrong! Lol

*hand held phones are illegal while driving. Good thing trumpets aren't.  ;D

M Sharpe

I don't worry bout calling one handed until I'm working a bird that is close, then I switch to one handed because all I want is soft subtle calls!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

EZ

When one handed calling is needed, I just circle my left thumb and forefinger (I'm right handed) around the end of the call. I use my other three fingers as the sound chamber and by tightening or loosening my fingers, changing the tone. I'll be honest, I've always just done it and never really put a lot of thought in the actual technique.

troutfisher13111

Quote from: EZ on February 19, 2017, 07:20:51 AM
When one handed calling is needed, I just circle my left thumb and forefinger (I'm right handed) around the end of the call. I use my other three fingers as the sound chamber and by tightening or loosening my fingers, changing the tone. I'll be honest, I've always just done it and never really put a lot of thought in the actual technique.
That's what I do. Like I said, I get decent calling that way. Good enough, but I'm always looking to step up my game

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

troutfisher13111

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 19, 2017, 02:09:32 AM
I don't worry bout calling one handed until I'm working a bird that is close, then I switch to one handed because all I want is soft subtle calls!
That's when I am worried about it too. I will say that I can get a real nice one handed cluck. It's really muffled because I make a small chamber with my hand. Maybe I should just leave it at that...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

guesswho

Far from an expert here and probably really not qualified to give advice on this subject, but that's never stopped me before.  But I just wing it like everything else I do.   I'm like Mark, the only time I even worry with it is when the bird is in pretty tight.    Then all I do is grasp the call with my right hand like I always do and pull the call down against my chest.  I seem to be able to manipulate the air pretty good like this by using my right hand and chest to form a chamber.   I get good low soft yelps and clucks by doing this and have very little movement. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

antnye

I just cup my hand and make as big of a chamber as I can.  Hard to explain but the position of the bell in relation to your fingers will give a better resonance. The way the sound reflects off your fingers.  You can make subtle soft clucks and yelps decent enough to get the job done. In my experience.

Smooth_Operator

Like Anthony mentioned, I make a cup with my one hand as large as possible and choke it down as necessary. In fact the only calling I do with a trumpet is one handed, it helps to have bigger hands I think as well...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

davisd9

Here is what KP showed me and it works well:

Thumb and pointer loosely wrapped around bell:

Middle finger blocking enough to create back pressure:

Then use rest of hand for sound chamber (looser for volume and tighter to muffle):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

perrytrails

Quote from: davisd9 on February 19, 2017, 09:34:52 PM
Here is what KP showed me and it works well:

Thumb and pointer loosely wrapped around bell:

Middle finger blocking enough to create back pressure:

Then use rest of hand for sound chamber (looser for volume and tighter to muffle):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's it, I wasn't using the middle finger for back pressure.

Thank you!!!

boatpaddle

Very enlightening thread......

I tried it with a glove on my right hand...Cut the fingers off at the second joint.....Much better sound...

Thanks .....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome