OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Curious as to the thoughts on the motion decoys coming out?

Started by Marc, February 17, 2017, 09:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Badonkadeke don't need no stinking batteries, you tell em who ever the heck you are   ::)
The hunting shows will be all over this promoting the heck out of it .
Just not needed for success .

guesswho

I just watched the video.   Not what I expected.  There was one years ago that was far ahead of this one.   I don't know if anyone remembers it but it was by Ace In The Hole Decoys.   It's movement was really close to a real turkey.   It even had interchangeable heads, a hen and a gobbler.  I saw a guy in Ohio that had one.     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Marc

On the face of it, most people would never guess that there are so many moral/ethical dilemmas involved in turkey hunting.  Hunting with decoys or without, hunting from a blind or not, fanning, turkey reaping, and now motorized decoys.

The two methods or means that obviously cross the line in my opinion are turkey reaping and electronics (whether calls or decoys)...  (I cannot speak to fanning, as I know very little about it or the effectiveness of it).  Gott'a admit, legal or not, I do look down my nose at these two issues.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gobble!

Gobble!

I won't use them, each year I use decoys all together less and less with increased results, but if a state is dumb enough to allow electronic calls/decoys I cannot fault someone for using them.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: guesswho on February 18, 2017, 07:41:43 AM
It's called dumbing down.  And nothing is safe from t, not even turkey hunting.   It started years ago and as hard as it is for some of us to believe, it continues to get even dumber.
No problem believing it here. I've been trapped in a classroom with it for 12 years. Won't believe the stuff getting shoved down our throats. In fact, was told earlier this year to just pass them along regardless of skill level. Holding them back had a direct relationship to a child dropping out and that hurts graduation rates. Can't have that. That being the case, I'm not surprised it's made its way into turkey hunting. I've got no problem with a decoy. Someone wants to fan one, go for it. If your state says you can use a motorized decoy, great. I won't be buying one but won't condemn those that use them either. Couple more years it won't matter anyway. They'll make hunting a push button game. Kids will be able to shoot animals from the safety of their bedroom with the click of a mouse. Afterwards a drone will drop it at the front door already processed and wrapped for the freezer, assuming that they don't already have a way to drop it there to begin with.

1iagobblergetter

If I wanted to use or didnt I wouldn't care if someone wanted to associate with me or not,but it's not my cup of tea...if someone wants to use them I'll still associate with ya...

turkeykiller41

If you have to have a decoy to kill a turkey maybe you should take up golf ,because you are a turkey shooter not a true turkey hunter in my opinion.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: turkeykiller41 on February 18, 2017, 10:35:03 PM
If you have to have a decoy to kill a turkey maybe you should take up golf ,because you are a turkey shooter not a true turkey hunter in my opinion.
I'll assume you hunt with a spear as well then.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 19, 2017, 08:00:48 AM
Wouldn't it be an unfair advantage to drive to your hunting spot also that's not fair chase,what kind of call are you using,should be natural voice or a homemade wingbone,if your not walking to your hunting spot from your house,chasing them down with a club or I'll even say calling with a wingbone, you might as well be golfing.....we've been down this road..I look down my nose at people that judge others... Different strokes for different folks..Maybe a newbie wants one,crippled person,etc.....

Marc

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 19, 2017, 05:24:33 PM
Wouldn't it be an unfair advantage to drive to your hunting spot also that's not fair chase,what kind of call are you using,should be natural voice or a homemade wingbone,if your not walking to your hunting spot from your house,chasing them down with a club or I'll even say calling with a wingbone, you might as well be golfing.....we've been down this road..I look down my nose at people that judge others... Different strokes for different folks..Maybe a newbie wants one,crippled person,etc.....
Going to a golf course and getting a perfect score by hand dropping the ball in each hole would take away some of the fun of the activity ( or at least it should for most of us.).

I do believe that hunting should have some aspect of Fair chase and some degree of interaction with the game that we are chasing. If one needs batteries to go hunting, perhaps it is time to take up a different activity.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

buzzardroost

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Marc on February 19, 2017, 06:05:35 PM
Going to a golf course and getting a perfect score by hand dropping the ball in each hole would take away some of the fun of the activity ( or at least it should for most of us.).

I do believe that hunting should have some aspect of Fair chase and some degree of interaction with the game that we are chasing. If one needs batteries to go hunting, perhaps it is time to take up a different activity.
But it's your money if you wanted to who cares???? Believe me it ain't my cup of tea,but if someone needs or wants to who should care....do you use decoys for duck hunting or pass shoot? Shouldn't matter....I'm not condoning battery operated decoys for turkey hunting,but if we're talking fair chase it's club and running after them or even natural voice or wingbone,with longbow or spear....

wvmntnhick

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 19, 2017, 06:24:04 PM

But it's your money if you wanted to who cares???? Believe me it ain't my cup of tea,but if someone needs or wants to who should care....do you use decoys for duck hunting or pass shoot? Shouldn't matter....I'm not condoning battery operated decoys for turkey hunting,but if we're talking fair chase it's club and running after them or even natural voice or wingbone,with longbow or spear....
And that sums it up. Someone hunts a little different so we look down on them. If I want to hunt deer over bait, I'll do it. Not now because it's no longer legal in the regions I hunt but previously it was and I did. I've killed deer both ways. Can't necessarily say I prefer one to the other as both come with a different dynamic. If I want to use a blind and decoys, I will. If in your eyes that makes me less of a hunter, so be it. I didn't get into the game to impress anyone. Just wanted to have fun on my terms. Not concerned with others opinions on the matter.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 19, 2017, 07:07:12 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 19, 2017, 06:24:04 PM

And that sums it up. Someone hunts a little different so we look down on them. If I want to hunt deer over bait, I'll do it. Not now because it's no longer legal in the regions I hunt but previously it was and I did. I've killed deer both ways. Can't necessarily say I prefer one to the other as both come with a different dynamic. If I want to use a blind and decoys, I will. If in your eyes that makes me less of a hunter, so be it. I didn't get into the game to impress anyone. Just wanted to have fun on my terms. Not concerned with others opinions on the matter.
I think a bunch of guys should change careers and go back to school and write game laws for a living...