OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite 20 gauge set up

Started by blake_08, February 14, 2017, 11:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Remington 870 youth.  Choke selection is endless, assesories are plentiful, and with fed HW 7 it's likely out shooting lead 3" 12ga. 

And then there is tss...
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

davisd9

Quote from: eorlando on February 15, 2017, 07:44:37 AM
Hookedspur and David9 what pistol grip is that and is that on an 870 youth model

My gun is a mossberg 500. Love the little gun.

https://www.atigunstocks.com/shotguns/mossberg/stocks/shotforce-pgs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

bamahunter

Well I'm just getting in the 20ga ballgame so I'll post up my fav setup after season :)

wvnut3

I am all in on 20 ga. After picking up this weatherby that weighs in at just under 6 lbs ,its shoots lights out with Fed #7 and either a Trulock or Sumtoy. I probably wont ever shoot my 12 ga again.Lee

davisd9

Quote from: wvnut3 on February 15, 2017, 09:22:09 AM
I am all in on 20 ga. After picking up this weatherby that weighs in at just under 6 lbs ,its shoots lights out with Fed #7 and either a Trulock or Sumtoy. I probably wont ever shoot my 12 ga again.Lee

This will probably be the next rig I get when I retire the 500, but she has to get at least 20 birds under her first.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TauntoHawk

Quote from: wvnut3 on February 15, 2017, 09:22:09 AM

Love this set and agree, got the weatherby for my wife but i use it all the time when she's not with and all my nephews will be using it on their early outings in the turkey woods.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hookedspur

Hookedspur and David9 what pistol grip is that and is that on an 870 youth model

I'm pretty sure mine is a BLACKHAWK KNOXX RECOIL REDUCING STOCK for the REMINGTON 870 20 GA
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

eorlando

Quote from: hookedspur on February 15, 2017, 07:05:25 PM

I'm pretty sure mine is a BLACKHAWK KNOXX RECOIL REDUCING STOCK for the REMINGTON 870 20 GA
Thanks. Now I just need to find one. Apparentely they don't make them anymore.

Captain Hooks

H&R single pardner full choked barrel
Light thing you can find and is dead nuts out to 30

Stumpy225

Another vote for the 870 youth. Have a sureshot at the moment but may swap to an adjustable recoil reducing stock.

Poleaxe

I think the setup depends on the age of the kid who plans using it.  I love the 870's but ended up going with the Mossberg 500 Super Bantam. By adding the stock it dropped the length of pull to 11&1/4 inches.  I to had to work years to get over my flinching from my old man putting to big of a gun in my hands to early which I am careful from doing.  My son just turned 7 so I'm going with the Federal Heavyweight #7's in 2 3/4 right now. With the 575 blackout choke I'm really happy with the numbers and confident out to 35yrds. Still got to add a camoclad kit to this gun. IMO if your kid is over 11-12 I would go with the 870 Youth.

Turkeyfever

The Mossberg SA 20 turkey is my favorite. The gun is light as a feather but being a semi automatic the kick is nothing. I use a Carlson's.575 and federal HW # 7 with great results. It comes with beard buster sights and a rail if you want a scope. My 8 year old loves it but it is also the gun I use!

Swampchickin234

I sure love my little remmy

slicksbeagles1

All of the other post have great advice I have a weatherby sa08 with an Indian Creek .555 and shoot hevi 13 #7 and have patterned it from 20yards to 50 yards with good patterns. Now before anyone starts bashing me the 50 yard was just for curosity. It is a nice Gun for the money but unless something has changed since I got the gun there's not many after market ad ons for it if any for the gun. So do your research on all the Guns you maybe interested so your sons can grow into the gun and use for years to come. Get the best you can afford.

davisd9

Quote from: slicksbeagles1 on February 19, 2017, 07:56:08 PM
All of the other post have great advice I have a weatherby sa08 with an Indian Creek .555 and shoot hevi 13 #7 and have patterned it from 20yards to 50 yards with good patterns. Now before anyone starts bashing me the 50 yard was just for curosity. It is a nice Gun for the money but unless something has changed since I got the gun there's not many after market ad ons for it if any for the gun. So do your research on all the Guns you maybe interested so your sons can grow into the gun and use for years to come. Get the best you can afford.

Bet that is a sweet set up that rocks some heads! Those weatherbys are nice guns for sure!