turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anybody shed hunting?

Started by Rzrbac, February 12, 2017, 06:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzrbac

Never got into shed hunting much but going to give it a go this year.  I'm still getting pics of bucks with both sides as of today.  I did find one Friday on my second walk this year.

wvmntnhick

If you're still getting pics with both sides I'd recommend staying away for a bit longer. Jmho. They're still stressed from the rut and winter in most places. Unless you live here. Then it's questionable if winter will ever truly get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naylor649

Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 12, 2017, 07:38:00 PM
If you're still getting pics with both sides I'd recommend staying away for a bit longer. Jmho. They're still stressed from the rut and winter in most places. Unless you live here. Then it's questionable if winter will ever truly get here.

I was thinking the same thing but I do remember snow on Easter before.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Naylor649 on February 12, 2017, 08:02:43 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on February 12, 2017, 07:38:00 PM

I was thinking the same thing but I do remember snow on Easter before.
Snow on Easter was commonplace where I grew up. Heck, snow in may wasn't really an oddity. Haha.

Rzrbac

I'm getting the pics of bucks behind my house. I'm for staying out of that place. I'm walking a private farm in the next county that I rarely hunt. That's where I found the shed Friday.

owlhoot

Found a small buck shed , some blood on it and the ground. Got a trail cam pic of him with both sides Friday and another without Saturday morning.

nativeks

Found a matching set on Jan 12th that is 124" of bone. Figure a 16" spread he was okay this year. Hope he grows. I've found 2 in the last 3 days. Most holding both sides. I don't worry about being in there. One wasn't there at 5 pm the night before but was there at 7 am the next morning. Pisses my buddy of because he won't set foot on his land and I am all over mine cutting down trees and finding sheds.

Turkeyman11

No shed hunting at all until April 1 here in Utah.  Tough winter conditions here so fish and game is doing what they can to keep stress on the animals to a minimum.  It's become crazy popular here.  I swear some guys hunt harder for the sheds in the Spring then they do actually trying to kill the buck in the Fall. 

Marc

I have a pup coming in May, and have thought about adding "shed scenting" to the training regiment.

I know that guys that have dogs trained for such are significantly more successful at finding sheds.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

blake_08

I've picked up 26 so far in SE Oklahoma. I'm 100% a shed hunting addict.  I'd 10x rather shed hunt than deer hunt. Very few bucks on my camera's still packing so the time is right for my area. I found two fresh sheds on December 31st 2016. That's the earliest I've ever found a fresh one.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

snapper1982

I stay out and leave my spots alone until i am sure most are shed. I love it when people walk all over their spots and push the deer away. Let them walk 100 miles for 50 sheds and i will walk 25 miles for 100 sheds.

M Sharpe

An old time deer hunter told me that those were his game cameras back in the day!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Bowguy

Where I live as early as the first week of Dec ( firearm week) I've seen mass shedding. We used to have to physically check our deer at a fish n game check station n I can remember deer coming in w guys holding horns. They swore they were there when they shot. Seems early but at least twice I saw guys wrap their hands around horns to pull the deer out n off they popped.
I haven't seen a buck w horns this year since early Jan. I have seen them once in Feb n once in March. Guess it all depends