Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cabela's Instinct Lock Down Boots-for me,...PERFECT!!

Started by busta biggun, February 10, 2017, 09:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busta biggun

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-MNS-G-INSTINCT-LOCKDOWN-BT/2271541.uts?productVariantId=4604805&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04457815&rid=20&gclid=CLO-5ovfhdICFRY9gQody3IIMA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I like tucking my hunting pants into the top of long snake boots. It helps mostly to keep ticks from crawling up your pant legs, but it also keeps your pants dry when wading a stream. The rubber boots are loud, uncomfortable and make my feet sweat. I have used Danner Pronghorns, and Rocky's for years. The Danners and early Rocky's took way to long to lace and un-lace. Plus they wore out too quick and starting leaking year two. Always. The last Rocky pair I had used a long zipper. That worked GREAT for two years and this year the zipper busted. Perfectly good boots ruined because of a messed up zipper.

So I ended up with these for this season. They are a regular sized boot, with the Boa lacing system that works fast. Then you pull up the gaiter that is built into the boot, and they cinch just below your knee, giving you 20 inches of waterproofing. They are very comfortable to wear and 10 times lighter than my other snake boots. Great concept! I won't know for sure until I get them out this season for extended hunts, but even if they don't work, they have a lifetime guarantee. Seems like a great boot.

gergg

Are they snake boots? You mentioned that, but I don't see any reference of that on the product description.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

busta biggun

I mentioned that I used to wear snake boots in order to get a tall boot that I can tuck my pants in. These boots are NOT snakeproof. I am ok with that because I haven't seen a poisonous snake in over 30 years of turkey hunting, and snake boots are quite a bit heavier. Sorry for the confusion. I should have worded it better.

davisd9

400 grams of insulation would cause me to create a flood inside the boots. Good looking boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Cut N Run

Quote from: busta biggun on February 10, 2017, 12:28:20 PM
I mentioned that I used to wear snake boots in order to get a tall boot that I can tuck my pants in. These boots are NOT snakeproof. I am ok with that because I haven't seen a poisonous snake in over 30 years of turkey hunting, and snake boots are quite a bit heavier. Sorry for the confusion. I should have worded it better.

Where do you hunt where you don't see poisonous snakes? 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Naylor649

I do like the concept but any insulated boot for me will cause my feet to sweat. Nice write up though.

cutt down

After turkey hunting for 28yrs & getting hit by a copperhead for the first time......I'm sticking with snake boots. Nice boots you got there though!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Cut N Run on February 10, 2017, 05:38:12 PM
Quote from: busta biggun on February 10, 2017, 12:28:20 PM

Where do you hunt where you don't see poisonous snakes? 

Jim
Not sure where he is but can honestly say I've not seen any venomous snakes while turkey hunting WV either. It's still cool enough here that it's not a problem for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busta biggun

I have hunted Kansas, Missouri, South Dakota, Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee. I do realize that there are poisonous snakes in each of those states. I am simply stating that I have been focusing a big piece of my boot criteria as being snake-proof, yet after 30 years of hunting, realizing I have yet to see a poisonous snake. SO while I realize the risk is there, I am not considering it a critical need. I am fairly careful and pay close attention because even if I did have snake boots on, I could get bit in the hand, leg, etc. while leaning on a tree or crawling through a ditch on my hands and knees.

TauntoHawk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>