OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Courtesy

Started by THattaway, February 08, 2017, 03:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THattaway

Quote from: The Woodsman on February 19, 2017, 07:46:12 AM
I understand everyone's thoughts and wonder how big the tracts of land you are hunting.
I am speaking of large tracts generally. I'll use the words a fly fisherman told me once when he was speaking of courtesy on a trout stream, "A bird sitting on a wire knows how close is too close". The intent of the post was for newer hunters that haven't played the game and may not realize there is such a thing as a comfort zone when turkey hunting.

5000 acres and one access point? Sure park and go in but at least listen out for the other guy, if you hear him then go hunt the other side of the place. He was there first after all. I assume you would expect the same courtesy. If you see a truck parked on the side of a road adjacent to 5000 acres then don't just pull 50 yards past it and expect to have the whole place to yourself.

If you willfully step on another's hunt then you are asking for trouble. Let's say you hear a tom gobbling to a hunter's calls between you and him. Would you say it would be ok to flank the hunter and call away? Ok to move in on the tom? Maybe I am niave but it's worked for me for 30+ years to just go the other way and hunt another tom.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Marc

Quote from: davisd9 on February 08, 2017, 04:08:56 PM
Agreed! Also if a guy has been kind enough to take you to one of his "spots", please be respectful to keep it secret and only hunt it with the host.
Most of the people I hunt with have an unwritten rule. If someone takes you to a spot to hunt whether public or private, that you would not have gone to otherwise, it is their spot.

People that go back to spots that I have taken them to, do not get invited to hunt with me again.

There have been times while hunting as a guest on private property where the owner has told me to come back anytime I want to.   However, I would be very mad if one of my friends went and hunted a spot that I took them to in such a manner,  so I avoid doing the same.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.