OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hevi 13/ Rem choke Modified  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
Hevi 13/ Rem choke Modified
« on: February 05, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »
Was interested to know if anyone has tried Hevi 13 3.5 6's through a Rem choke modified choke for ducks. I have allot of boxes of Hevi 3.5 6's and haven't been impressed with the turkey patterns. I guess my question is, is it safe, would it be productive.

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 11:14:00 PM »
Before you blast 5 dollar shells at ducks ill se if I can get em to shoot in any of my guns first!   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 11:15:47 PM »
Don't see why anything  would be wrong with it.  We  shoot steel  and tungsten based substitutes out of factory chokes to no ill.   I would personally open it up a bit more myself and try an ic.    That ought to be about devastating.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: Hevi 13/ Rem choke Modified
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 12:00:29 AM »
Modified will be far too tight for most shooting...

I shot Hevi-shot for most of a season, back when I could get it cheap (I purchased a bunch at about 50¢ per shell).

At first I could not hit a darned thing, and opening up a shell and seeing that slag, I thought it was probably patterning poorly...  Took it out and patterned it, and it was just the opposite.  It was patterning far too tight, and opening up to an improved-cylinder or even a skeet choke, my success improved greatly.

At least in my gun, and IC with Hevi-shot at 40+ yards was plenty tight.

Interesting that you cannot get it to pattern in your turkey gun though?  I am using 1 3/8 oz loads, and it patterns plenty well out to 40 yards (as far as a good turkey pattern) with a standard full choke.

How far are you lookin' to shoot, and what chokes are you running it through?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »
It should be a great swatter load for killing cripples. Lots of bb's to make a dead duck or goose.

Offline chcltlabz

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 02:54:26 PM »
Remember that hevi-13 turkey loads are not traveling the same speed as steel duck loads.  Your lead will be much bigger with the slower loads.

I'd recommend selling the turkey loads and spending that money on a duck load.   Besides the expense, you're going to tear ducks up quite a bit with that many pellets.  Pay your dental insurance!
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of ‘up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Offline gobblermadness

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 10:05:31 PM »
it wear the ducks out because Hevishot is denser and will harder at
extended ranges