OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Not sure what to expect

Started by Yelp, February 01, 2017, 11:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yelp

Thanks for the add fellas. I'm an avid hunter of other species with feathers, never ever turkey hunted. Never even saw a live turkey. My family bought 70 acres in mississippi last year that they deer hunt. I've never been there because I was too busy shooting duck birds in the face, but they see plenty hens that come into the food plot to eat. Usually about 13-16 hens at a time. They haven't ever seen any toms, but one would assume if there's that many hens there would be a few males running around. Anyways, I've decided to give turkey hunting a go now that duck season is over and I'm walking around not real sure what to do with my hands. So I bought a buncha  i prolly don't need. 2 decoys, a vest, some boots, a box call, and a slate call. I've been watching many videos on YouTube just trying to learn what I can about turkeys and hunting them since I'm literally coming into this blind. Just want to better my odds at success, because to tell u the truth I'm not really a fan of hunting. I'm in it for the harvesting. So after watching 636 videos I'm pretty damn excited. I haven't even stepped into the woods yet and I may be hooked. Just the thought of playing cat and mouse with a big ol gobbler and succeeding is getting me all riled up. Anyways, I know u guys can't tell me how to hunt a turkey that u never saw on a piece of property u never saw, but I'm looking for a bit of advice. I haven't grown up turkey hunting. I don't know anyone that does turkey hunt. I'm just not sure what to expect. My game plan is to set up my decoys right on the edge of the deer food plot where they have been seeing the hens. and me sit about 5' inside of the tree line to cover up a bit. I guess I'll set up there and just see what happens but all the videos I watch everyone is in the woods. So I'm not sure if maybe my chances of success are better in the woods. I'm a state away do scouting isn't really an option but I will go the weekend before the season starts and look around as much as possible. I guess I'm just asking what would u fellas do that have a few hunts under their belt, /'d know what to expect

FLGobstopper

If you want to kill one you can definitely accomplish that by blinding up and sticking some decoys in a field they use sitting and waiting and letting them come to you. It works and I've done it and will continue to do so at times. It works and is FUN!

There is nothing like fooling an old gobbler in the woods or field though that's coming to your calls hunting you because he's fallen in love with your calling while screaming his head off. The best way to accomplish that is by being in his domain, listening, knowing your query and the calls they make and what excites them. Then making him do what you want him to do and come to you. That takes time, patience and perseverance to learn. Some screw ups happen as well but that makes it all the more rewarding.

My first was in the woods just like that after several failed attempts. I'll never forget the way that joker gobbled coming in beard dragging his big old white head glowing like a bright light bulb through the trees, spittin and drummin,. Yep, that's a moment I want to relive it as much as possible each spring.

FullChoke

The presence of turkeys during deer season on a property doesn't necessarily mean that they will be there during the spring season. Check online to get some information about the phases that turkeys go through as a season progresses and use that to your advantage. What does this property look like? Fields? bottomland? planted pines? food plots? Where is the property located in MS? Are there hunting clubs adjoining the property? Does anyone else hunt turkeys on it? Have an experienced turkey hunter show you how to use your calls, what call to use, when and how much.

Lotsa questions. If you can get an old timer to take you under his wing and learn you how it's done, you will be miles ahead.

:anim_25:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

WCD4

In regards to turkey hunting, my advice would be to learn to enjoy the hunt because if your in it just for the harvest you may end up disappointed more times than not. When you look back at the end of your season, whether you killed one or not, I think you'll be able to say you enjoyed the the hunt. There's nothing like it.

Patience and being still will be your best strategy. Good luck.

Bowguy

If you're gonna be there the weekend before find at least which side of the property they're on by staying back a bit n listening. Set up where they are, learn the birds, habits, etc. don't just throw dekes in a field as a cure all.
If you hunt ducks you prob use dekes. And calling. You can tell by wing beats,  neck cranes, n a slow croaking quack if they're calm.
Now say you had a 70 acre pond n someone asked bout just throwing some dekes on the edge. What do you think his chances are? Maybe get lucky n be in the right spot. Best to see where they want to be n be there before them. You're odds will go up.
Same for turks, very simply use a similar mindset as to what you'd do. Listen far enough away not to spook the birds, specially that near the season, use binos to see em from afar.

Yelp

Some good advise here guys. It's in McCall creek ms. About twenty mins west of Brookhaven, from what I gather. Not sure how the turkey population is there. This is the first year on the property, and it does join other properties. Not sure if the neighbors turkey hunt. There's two food plots for deer, there's a small creek and a gravel pit, hills and pinewoods. Most of it is thick

TalksToTurkeys

Quote from: Yelp on February 01, 2017, 11:27:49 AM
to tell u the truth I'm not really a fan of hunting. I'm in it for the harvesting.
Very Disturbing.

WNCTracker

Spend the weekend or day ahead listening and looking at dawn and dusk for their roosting area. They will possibly roost the same place, even the same tree. If you see a gobbler at one place in the morning try to be there around the same time again because they probably won't be there in late morning. They can be creatures of habit.  If you locate one watch which way they work across the field and put yourself and your decoys if you're using them ahead of their path. If you get their attention with a few calls, and they're headed towards you, let them come and quit calling. Be patient.  If it's still just about getting high quality meat after your first gobbler I'll be shocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullChoke

Quote from: Yelp on February 01, 2017, 12:52:47 PM
It's in McCall creek ms.

I am familiar with McCall Creek of Franklin county. You should have a good population of turkeys in that area as well as the adjacent Homochitto National Forest. The forest gets overrun by the guys from Louisiana when our season opens, but they should go home once theirs starts. You may have a fairly good spot if the birds will stay near your place.

BTW, turkey hunting is unique among the hunting sports because we tend to take great enjoyment in the hunt and not so much in the harvest. Turkey hunting isn't a numbers game, but it is a sport that will allow you to grow in woodsmanship and appreciation of the greatest game bird in North America. Give it a chance to really get into your soul.

Good luck.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Poleaxe

I'm no veteran but have been successful the three years I've been at this addiction.  Best advice I can give is to either set some cameras out to see what is around or get there to roost one the night before.  They most always gobble when flying up to roost and set up as close to them as you can.  If none of the above are possible then start your hunt off and just wait til you hear the first one fire off and if he's roosted over a field edge use the woods to maneuver as close to him as you can. 

And don't try calling to them until you plan on hunting them no matter how bad the urge is   

Yelp

What do you mean by not calling at them until ur ready to hunt them. I thought that's what u do, some sharp cutting trying to hear a gobble then the game begins lol

Greg Massey

Learn as much as you can. Buy you a few good call's, learn on these calls, Scout, listen and be patience. Spend a lot of time in the woods with these birds. Sometimes you need a little luck also...

Greg Massey

Quote from: Yelp on February 01, 2017, 03:17:26 PM
What do you mean by not calling at them until ur ready to hunt them. I thought that's what u do, some sharp cutting trying to hear a gobble then the game begins lol
I think what he means is not calling to the birds before your season opens. Don't go out days before season just to see if you can call a bird up...

Poleaxe

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 01, 2017, 03:20:00 PM
Quote from: Yelp on February 01, 2017, 03:17:26 PM
I think what he means is not calling to the birds before your season opens. Don't go out days before season just to see if you can call a bird up...

That's right. 

ddturkeyhunter

If a group of hen feel safe there right now there will be some around later with there boy friends. Just be out there early morn in the dark and then in evening and listen for them gobbling. Learn where they roost and lay of the land in the beginning of week and then stay the heck out of the wood to let things quite down for a few days before the hunt. Other wise if you bump them two many times, they will be on the neighbors property come opening day. One more thing they pick out movement ten times faster and quicker then a duck. A lot of times it doesn't matter and then the next time you move your finger to take off gun safe, and busted. Good luck you have a better start then I did