OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My Vest Needs a New Call.

Started by Ol timer, January 31, 2017, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol timer

This year I need a aluminum pot was hoping on some guidance. Is it better to get a black atomized or not? I've read that folks are actually scratching it off to make it sound better. So before I buy any suggestions on that would help, was thinking aluminum over slate or glass. I'm thinking on Darrin Dawkins, Oak Ridge,or Hanks. Let me know what experiences you guys have good or bad. Thanks

Bowguy

Schafer-Oak Ridge isn't slick aluminum n I have a few of his. Two I've used. Best meat calls I've ever owned. One aluminum over glass, 2 aluminum over aluminum. The other is new. Dawkins stoned is awesome too., his slick is great too. 2 good ones if you want slick are Macs-Mark Cornelious n Blackstone-Dustin Jones. Don't forget Lonzo, he has both styles n both are great.
The Blackstone n Mac I slightly scuff up w fine sandpaper or scotch brite. Dawkins I use chalk but for some reason it never needs it.
Stoned I use scotch brite on an area to get two sounds. Schafer is another that never seems to need anything but alcohol wipes are used

Bowhuntr73

scoot12

so many great aluminum calls out there but I would look into Darrin Dawkins plastic stoned aluminum call.  It does everything well and is very easy to play.  Oh it sounds great too.  Scoot

Ol timer

As usual I missed out on a Oak Rigde Alum/Alum.  In the classifieds   :'(

870BkWht

X 2 on the vote for Daybreak Shedua. 

Footballer

Quote from: scoot12 on January 31, 2017, 03:18:40 PM
so many great aluminum calls out there but I would look into Darrin Dawkins plastic stoned aluminum call.  It does everything well and is very easy to play.  Oh it sounds great too.  Scoot

This one gets my vote as well. Can't go wrong with a Schaffer aluminum either.

BABS9

Lon Trice anodized alum/alum or Jimmy Schaffer Sapele alum/alum

MikeStaten

Schaffer's Aluminum and Lonzo's stoned aluminum are real easy to play (little or no conditioning required) and sound great.  Lonzo's anodized in acrylic and Hanks anodized aluminum sound amazing with a great high pitch, but you need to touch them up lightly with some scotch brite to really get them to sing and to make them easier to play. 

Ol timer

Good comebacks really appreciate it.

slwayne

Just ordered Lonzo's stoned aluminum over aluminum in a Cocobolo pot today.  I'll post feedback in a few weeks but based on previous OG comments I expect it's gonna be a good one.

Happy hooker

Brad Roberts has a brand new aluminum call,,no experience with it but heard it will be to die for.

rbreedi1

I ordered a Lon Trice Stoned Aluminum in Padauk pot about 2 weeks ago.. hope to have it in another few weeks.
Thunder Ridge Totes

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Ol timer on January 31, 2017, 03:31:57 PM
As usual I missed out on a Oak Rigde Alum/Alum.  In the classifieds   :'(
That's was a real good one....Bill Lyman makes a great sounding aluminum and his strikers are top notch...

wvmntnhick

I've played a lot of aluminum calls. Some I've kept, others I've given away or traded. The calls I've got left are 2 Yingling (half blasted, half sanded), Schaffer atomic 13 and a Halloran anodized. To be fair, I'd have gotten rid of the Halloran but I sanded half of the anodized coating off to make it run. It sounds good now but I'd not have bought it the way it was had I had a chance to play it first.