turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

16 gauge shell selection

Started by TennesseeJed, January 26, 2017, 06:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TennesseeJed

I checked out the shotgun shells at Walmart the other day. They had several dozen boxes of various 12 gauge shells, a pretty good selection of 20 and .410s, but only one measly box of 16 gauge. They were Remington XLRs.

For y'all other 16 gauge shooters, how's the selection in your neck of the woods?

FL-Boss

I'm surprised you found any 16ga at a walmart.  Just not as popular as back in the day. The advent of the 3in 20ga shell pretty much killed the 16.  Kinda like the advent of the 3.5in 12ga killed the 10ga.

Browning reintroduced the Sweet 16 - so that is some good news.  I wish they would make a 3in chambered 16GA.. they would be the perfect set up for so many things I do.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: FL-Boss on January 26, 2017, 06:48:12 PM
I'm surprised you found any 16ga at a walmart.  Just not as popular as back in the day. The advent of the 3in 20ga shell pretty much killed the 16.  Kinda like the advent of the 3.5in 12ga killed the 10ga.

Browning reintroduced the Sweet 16 - so that is some good news.  I wish they would make a 3in chambered 16GA.. they would be the perfect set up for so many things I do.
It may not actually be as good as you think. the shot column vs the bore diameter is what makes the 16 ga the magnificent wonder that it is. If you increase the shot column, you often times blow the pattern. Not saying you can't do it or correct the issue with a choke swap of some sort but personally, I feel it's best the way it is.

Swampchickin234

Quite a few around these parts.  Our lgs usually keeps them stocked pretty well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamper

Remington xlr are hard to beat. Killed a bunch of critters, turkeys included with Remington xlr 6's