OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Avian-X 3/4 Strut Jake

Started by C.Kimzey95, January 24, 2017, 10:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: Marc on January 26, 2017, 11:47:45 PM
Related question to the original post...

How many birds do you think would come into the 3/4 strut jake, that would not come into the 1/2 strut jake or vice versa?  Basically a slightly more aggressive pose, that might irritate a dominant tom, or scare off a submissive bird that has been taking a beating...  Does the slightly more aggressive pose really initiate that instinctual response to fight, or does the mere presence of another bird do the same thing (i.e. the 1/2 strutter)?

Honestly, looking at the pose and having seen the realism of the 1/2 strutter, I do not think there would be very much difference between the DSD and the newest Avian as far as effectiveness (durability is a completely different topic though).
agree, also someone said , look at how the head on the 3/4 strut was not near as high up as the 1/2 strut..i like the head on the 1/2 strut better...

C.Kimzey95

How many birds do you think would come into the 3/4 strut jake, that would not come into the 1/2 strut jake or vice versa?  Basically a slightly more aggressive pose, that might irritate a dominant tom, or scare off a submissive bird that has been taking a beating...  Does the slightly more aggressive pose really initiate that instinctual response to fight, or does the mere presence of another bird do the same thing (i.e. the 1/2 strutter)?

Honestly, looking at the pose and having seen the realism of the 1/2 strutter, I do not think there would be very much difference between the DSD and the newest Avian as far as effectiveness (durability is a completely different topic though).
I've gone back and forth in my thinking about this. I can't talk myself into thinking it would work that much better than the 1/2 strut version that I currently own. I like the posture but agree on the statement that has been made on the head position. Thanks for your response Marc.

kjnengr

Can someone post a link to these decoys?  The only one I see on Avian-X's website is the 1/4 Strut Jake.  Or are my Google skills weak?

Gobble!

I think if a turkey is going to commit to a gobbler decoy he will commit weather its just a upright jake, 1/2 strut, or a full strutter. I have seen jakes standup to a full strutter decoy and long beards shy away from a upright jake. Also seen birds shy away from lone hen decoys. Its always tough to say when to use decoys. My recommendation is when it doubt leave it in the truck. I have had some great hunts over decoys and some very disappointing hunts over decoys as well. 

C.Kimzey95

I like that answer gobble. I do however think there are gobblers that would probably commit to a Jake decoy that wouldn't come into a strutter... I've never ran a Jake fan in a full strut decoy though either.... back not very long after I got into turkey hunting there were 4 gobblers running around our farm that absolutely wanted nothing to do with my killer B.... hunted them several times to no avail. Tried a Jake decoy one morning and all 4 of them came in to 15 yards and stomped that thing in the dirt. Me and my buddy doubled up. Fun hunt I won't forget! ...... All that being said I don't know if there would be any difference between the two Jake decoys.

MK M GOBL

There are times I use the jake with an upright hen in either the upright or staked as a breeder, but most of the time the jake is set as a sub to my strutter and have had great success with this set-up.

MK M GOBL