News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weatherby SA-459 or Mossberg 930

Started by GunRunner, January 16, 2017, 05:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

I am looking at these two auto loaders.

I can't afford both and I can't afford a Benelli.....so I am going to have to make a decision.  Which one would you recommend ....the SA 459 or the 930?

Bowguy

Go for the American made one. I believe the Weatherby although guys rave about it is made overseas

Philippe

The SA-459 is a fine gun, I owned one and with a custom spun choke from William at Sumtoy it threw monster patterns with the Longbeard 3in 1 7/8 5's and 6's. It was a joy to carry in the field and very comfortable to sit with and hold a bead for long periods of time.

dirt road ninja

The Weatherby will hold its value better, there are more aftermarket parts available for the Mossy. I'd probably buy the lighter of the two.

FL-Boss

Philippe

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 16, 2017, 09:08:37 PM
The Weatherby will hold its value better, there are more aftermarket parts available for the Mossy. I'd probably buy the lighter of the two.

I sold mine for more than what I paid for it new, they are tought to get around here. Probably the best turkey rig i've owned to date.

wvnut3

Quote from: FL-Boss on January 16, 2017, 10:49:50 PM
SA 459 hands down...pure turkey
x2
I  love my 20 ga. ,and if i were in the market for a 12 ga. i would have twins.Lee

TauntoHawk

I couldn't imagine a better turkey gun for the price than the SA-459
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wvmntnhick

I too would go for the Mossberg simply because it's American made. If that doesn't matter to you, 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

allaboutshooting

The Mossberg 930 is quite a good gun, reliable, accurate and very easy to service when needed. I have 2 of them and one has had literally thousands of shells, mostly 3" turkey loads, fired through it, without any failures whatsoever. I/ve used it in competition, at the range for evaluations and for hunting. It has a really great trigger and the factory recoil pad is quite good as well. At one point, I did not clean the gas system for about a year. When I took it apart, it was filthy but it just kept going.

I've only had the second 930 since last September, so not so many shells through it yet but I expect to see the same reliability from it as the first one. It's a "Snow Goose" model so it came with a magazine extension and a larger bolt handle which I really like. It also has a very good trigger.

There are many very good guns out there, lots to choose from but you would not go wrong with the 930.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."