News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I'm Not Man Enough

Started by SinGin, April 06, 2011, 05:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeyeeddy

Quote from: bbcoach on April 06, 2011, 05:51:45 PM
ONE WORD------------------------------------LIMBSAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a limbsaver recoil pad as part of a gun package deal a few years back.  Sold the shotgun for what I had in it and kept the limbsaver.  I put it on my shotgun when I'm patterning.  I haven't shot the Mag Blends yet, but I'll find out about them towards the end of the week.

prattfan1

From working in a  physics dept. and testing every 3.5" turkey shell made in the last five years, it is very clear that a 3.5" shell was never intended to be shot from a 12 gauge shotgun. The barrel opening is simply not big enough for this type of charge to dissipate, thus creating severe recoil and punishment to the shooter. The 3.5" shell works great in a 10 gauge and even better in a 8 gauge if you dare.
  The 3" shell is all you need in the 12 gauge so save yourself some pain and a lot of money a 3" shell will kill a turkey just as dead as the 3.5" shell while preserving your manhood and being a more accurate shooter.

Tom Foolery

Quote from: paboxcall on April 09, 2011, 11:29:48 PM
Quote from: snapper1982 on April 09, 2011, 10:30:05 PM
worst gun i ever touched off was a mossy 835 with 22 inch barrel and one of those real little synthetic stocks.. fired 5 times with the 3.5 win hv's and on the 5th shot it cracked my nose.. told my buddy if he wanted it any better to do it him self. he shot it one time. and never shot a turkey that year and then sold the gun.

I will give you that -- the 835 is mean.  But it doesn't come close to the NEF single shot they sold about 15 years ago when the 12 ga. 3.5" first hit the scene for turkeys.  Maybe you guys remember it -- It was dipped in the old Mossy Oak Bottomland camo, and weighed about 6 pounds, maybe less.  It did not have the heavy 10 ga. barrel on it.  A dream to carry, but hell to shoot.

I shot that thing 4 times with Winchester Supreme 3.5" #6 to try and get it to pattern.  I was black and blue to the sternum, and down my right arm almost to the elbow.  Traded it for a Mossy 500 after that first year.  I really miss carrying it, but do not miss shooting that miserable gun.  A feel bad for the guy who has it today...

I remember those.  A guy I knew bought one and took it home to his range.  He stoked it full of Win 3.5" 2oz #4's, sat down on a cool and cut drive across his yard at a beer can, what else would you pattern at?  He was setting on the edge of his yard which was on the edge of a big hill.  Aat the shot cooler, gun and he rolled plumb to the bottom of said hill.  That was his one and only round from the NEF turkey slayer.

Scout24

As far as splitting stocks, I did read a few years ago about a wood stocked bolt action chambered for something like a .460 Weatherby Mag and the shooter loaded the sled to the max. That sled had nowhere to go and the stock took the brunt of it. My bare sled alone weighs 23 pounds,and with another 8-10 for the shotgun or rifle that's usually enough to make it manageable. I've never read of a synthetic stock splitting.

mossybird

I shot ALOT of clay pigeons . 2-3 times a week ill go to the back forty and set up my machine and shoot easy 200 rounds of 2 3/4 #8s and 5 boxes of clays. All I use is a slip on recoil pad. That being said, i still use my lead sled when patterning my turkey gun. Although the kick doesnt bother me at all.