OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

10 year old daughter's First Turkey with pics and video

Started by gophert, April 06, 2011, 05:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gophert

Well it would be an understatement to say this morning was very special.  We heard a bird on the roost early, but was a long way away and we only have permission to hunt on this small 10 acre honey hole.  We set up on the property line closes to the bird, but once he flew down we never heard him again.  After about 30 min I decided to move down to a little field at the back of the property...so after packing everything up...camera, decoys, blind..and resetting everything back up it was close to about 6:50 am.  After about 15 minutes of light yelping a hen showed up and we enjoyed her company.  My daughter names every hen we see.  ;D  We then heard that gobbler gobble again, still really far away..and now this hen is in front of us.  I decide that I don't want this hen to mess us up and get between us and a possible interested gobbler.  So, I got out of the blind and ran into the field and scared her REAL FAR away.  I then got back in the blind and gave out an aggressive loud yelp and he HAMMERED back.  He was still I would say 1/4 mile away or it seemeed.  I waited a few minutes and yelped again and he HAMMERED again and was definitly closer.  It sounded as if he was going to circle in from our left front which would be perfect.  However, the next time we heard him he had crossed a woven fence and was on our property..RIGHT BEHIND us.  The next thing I heard was him spitting and drumming.  I told my daughter to hit the safety and get ready.  Thinking he would come by me on the left side where the road is I was ready.  Then I heard him drum on my right side...I looked and there he was in full strut about 6 yards from our blind.  He walked right beside us and she got a look at him through the blind in full strut at about 6 yards.  She whispered, "He's huge daddy!".  The rest of the story is all caught on video.  21 lbs   1.25" spurs and 6" beard (must have been beard-rot).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN8lPFbm-Pk

lightsoutcalls

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

gophert

Thanks Wendell.  You would be glad to hear that I used one of your pot calls along with a woodhaven mouth call.  Guess he like him some lightsout.  THANKS!

870supermagnum

Congratulations on taking your first gobbler.... great looking bird.   :happy0064:

wvboy

That is too cool.. there is no greater reality show than that right there  ;D
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

a-j calls

ncturkey

Great video. Congrat's too your daughter and you. That is what it all about. Thanks for sharing, Mike

bbcustomboxcalls

Hognutz

Congrats to the both of you. That is a hunt neither of you will ever forget..Well done..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

bbcoach

Congratulations to BOTH of you!!!!!!  This is the only REALITY show that I care to watch.
WONDERFUL footage!  PRICELESS Father and Daughter moment.

TURKEYSLAYER101

AWESOME!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!    :you_rock:

TURKEYSLAYER 101
Some people hear voices in their heads. I hear turkeys!!!!

stinkpickle

cannonball

AndyH