OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Feedback on Mossberg 930 Auto

Started by GunRunner, December 31, 2016, 10:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

I have been using a Browning BPS for years and have killed many birds with it. Great gun but I have been interested in adding an automatic to my turkey arsenal.

I have been looking at the Mossberg 930 Turkey with pistol grip and wondered if any of you have used this gun and could offer some feedback.

Note: I looked at the 935 initially but I only shoot 3 inch loads and do not need the 3.5 inch capabilities of the 935.

Thanking you in advance.

GunRunner

allaboutshooting

Quote from: GunRunner on December 31, 2016, 10:46:37 PM
I have been using a Browning BPS for years and have killed many birds with it. Great gun but I have been interested in adding an automatic to my turkey arsenal.

I have been looking at the Mossberg 930 Turkey with pistol grip and wondered if any of you have used this gun and could offer some feedback.

Note: I looked at the 935 initially but I only shoot 3 inch loads and do not need the 3.5 inch capabilities of the 935.

Thanking you in advance.

GunRunner

I have 2 of the 930s and they are fantastic guns. The first one has had hundreds and hundreds of mostly turkey loads through it over the last several years. It has never failed to feed or fire. At one point I purposely did not clean the gun, other than the bore, for almost one year. It kept shooting. When I finally broke it down to clean it, it was filthy with burned powder and "gunk" but that never kept it from shooting. It shoots to point of aim without any adjustment for me.

The second one is a "snow goose" model that I got earlier this year. It fits exceptionally well and has a good trigger. I've only put a few hundred rounds through it but no failures of any kind.

The 930s are made to shoot and they do just that. I had a long conversation with Jerry Miculek who shoots those guns in competition. I published that conversation on my site. He puts hundreds and hundreds of rounds through his in 3 gun competition and practice. He also commented on the quickness of cycling of the 930s which is very important to him.

If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to be of help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

wvmntnhick

Buddy of mine bought one last year and he loves it. He's a picky fella so that tells me all I need to know. If I were in the market for one, that's what I'd get. He's been using it lately for duck and goose hunting. Said its been great.

Gutsdozer

Quote from: GunRunner on December 31, 2016, 10:46:37 PM

Thanking you in advance.

GunRunner

Isn't the 935 overbored? I have read that this makes for a very good patterning gun. I personally have not shot either but would be interested in hearing some  opinions from experienced users.

Happy

Yes, the 935 is overbored.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

allaboutshooting

QuoteIsn't the 935 overbored? I have read that this makes for a very good patterning gun. I personally have not shot either but would be interested in hearing some  opinions from experienced users.

I owned a 935 for years until a good friend wanted it for a Florida turkey hunt and I let him have it. It threw excellent patterns with a variety of shells. Mine had an actual 25.5" barrel, a good bore and would also cycle 2.75" shells in addition to 3" and 3.5". It's not supposed to cycle 2.75" shells and many don't however.
The 935 is a bit heavy and quite muzzle heavy. You can get some cheek slap but that's easily fixed with a thin Cheek EEZ pad on the comb of the stock.
My 935 had an excellent trigger, no creep and very crisp. It also had a very good recoil pad, so there was no need to replace it.
Since I never see the need for 3.5" shells, I prefer the 930 to the 935 but they both are very good guns.

Thanks,
Clark

Gutsdozer

Quote from: allaboutshooting on January 05, 2017, 10:49:28 PM
QuoteIsn't the 935 overbored? I have read that this makes for a very good patterning gun. I personally have not shot either but would be interested in hearing some  opinions from experienced users.

I owned a 935 for years until a good friend wanted it for a Florida turkey hunt and I let him have it. It threw excellent patterns with a variety of shells. Mine had an actual 25.5" barrel, a good bore and would also cycle 2.75" shells in addition to 3" and 3.5". It's not supposed to cycle 2.75" shells and many don't however.
The 935 is a bit heavy and quite muzzle heavy. You can get some cheek slap but that's easily fixed with a thin Cheek EEZ pad on the comb of the stock.
My 935 had an excellent trigger, no creep and very crisp. It also had a very good recoil pad, so there was no need to replace it.
Since I never see the need for 3.5" shells, I prefer the 930 to the 935 but they both are very good guns.

Thanks,
Clark

Is there any noticeable difference in the patterns they shot? I don't mean to hijack this thread BTW.

allaboutshooting

QuoteIs there any noticeable difference in the patterns they shot? I don't mean to hijack this thread BTW.

I'd be happy taking either gun to the turkey woods and fields. I can't really say there was much difference in the patterns but the 930s are more comfortable to shoot and much easier to get a second shot off if necessary.

Thanks,
Clark

longislandloco

I don't own one but have heard nothing but good things, if I wanted an auto it would be on my short list.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe