OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winter Turkey Talk---LOST CALLERS.

Started by quavers59, December 30, 2016, 12:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Well member, I have lost my share of callers  for sure. I don't know why- but scratch boxes are at the top of the list. Now my most expensive caller was a custom yelper that I lost after busting a flock. It was in a camo day pack and try as I might-- I could not locate it. I bought that yelper through- Midwest Turkey Calls. It was a African Blackwood yelper with an Ivory mouthpiece. It cost over 100 dollars. It was my fav as well. I am betting most here have lost callers while on the move to a gobble.

fallhnt

I'll check the fields while I'm hunting Stewart State Forrest this Spring. I may find it. :funnyturkey:
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

dejake

Truck probably ran over it in the field.

doublespurs21

come on you guys,, give the guy a break..............

KentuckyHeadhunter

Who was the maker of the ABW/ivory MP that you lost?
That really stinks.  I've never lost one but I've gotten them soaked.  The only thing I've have ever lost in the woods was my composure! :OGani:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Tail Feathers

I've lost a couple of mouth calls and a striker or three, but nothing real expensive.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Happy hooker

I put a thread up in the Turkey calls section just a few days ago about this very subject,,wondering if we should put Ph numbers on the bottom of calls,,I've lost and found calls in the woods it's not that rare turkey guys all know what is the perfect tree to sit against using the same ones.

quavers59

Right Happy Hooker-- I did find my GASKINS cedar scratch box next to a favored tree. It still sounded great after being out for 1 year. Kentucky HeadHunter-- Can't remember who made that African Blackwood yelper. It was in the Midwest cat for just one year. Maybe 11-12 years ago.

Yoder409

EXACTLY why my higher end calls are safe/shelf queens........

I could never, EVER forgive  myself for losing or sitting on a $200 or $1500 call........   I hunt with some pretty slick sounding calls.  But not a ONE of them cost me more than about $40.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

guesswho

I can remember the first one I ever lost.  A P.S. Olt scratch call.  I left it against a big Live Oak in Avon Park Florida.  It was in 1968 and I had just killed my first longbeard by myself.   In all the excitement I left it laying there.   A few weeks later I went back to get it and couldn't find it.   I have lost many more since then.   I'm world class when it comes to misplacing things.  I lost my hunting boots a few years ago.  How do you lose your dang boots? 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mgm1955

Quote from: guesswho on January 02, 2017, 09:37:38 AM
I can remember the first one I ever lost.  A P.S. Olt scratch call.  I left it against a big Live Oak in Avon Park Florida.  It was in 1968 and I had just killed my first longbeard by myself.   In all the excitement I left it laying there.   A few weeks later I went back to get it and couldn't find it.   I have lost many more since then.   I'm world class when it comes to misplacing things.  I lost my hunting boots a few years ago.  How do you lose your dang boots?
That's what turkey hunting will do to you!!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

wvmntnhick

Quote from: guesswho on January 02, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Well, if you're my uncle, you leave them outside your camper along a well travelled road to let them dry out while you take a nap. When you wake up and decide to go back out they'll magically disappear for you. I've never lost anything. (Insert extreme sarcasm here) I've misplaced lots of things but never lost anything. Heck, I'd lost an entire set of hunting clothes once thinking that someone had taken them out of my truck at one point. 3 years later they showed up at camp. Go figure. Lost a 308 rifle for about 2 years as well. Found it under a bed in my parents house right before I almost bought another. Only turkey call I've lost so far has been a Primos box cutter. Sure would like to have that one back as it was a killer call for tight lipped birds. I've lost several strikers though. Was having a very hard time keeping track of strikers for a while until I got some good custom ones. Now I'm more cautious about where they end up. Had several knives come up missing over the years as well as ammo. Knock on wood though, no calls yet.

West Augusta

I lost my favorite Dymondwood striker this fall and with Dymondwood no longer being made I went back and hand raked the hill until dark and finally found it.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

paboxcall

Quote from: West Augusta on January 02, 2017, 05:59:30 PM
I lost my favorite Dymondwood striker this fall and with Dymondwood no longer being made I went back and hand raked the hill until dark and finally found it.

A very good friend of mine lost his favorite striker last spring, and borrowed the dymondwood striker you made for me Steve.  Apparently he liked it so much, and the weight and size fit his hand so well, I guess I'm the one who now lost a striker!  LOL!   :happy0167:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

West Augusta

Quote from: paboxcall on January 02, 2017, 06:12:20 PM
Quote from: West Augusta on January 02, 2017, 05:59:30 PM

A very good friend of mine lost his favorite striker last spring, and borrowed the dymondwood striker you made for me Steve.  Apparently he liked it so much, and the weight and size fit his hand so well, I guess I'm the one who now lost a striker!  LOL!   :happy0167:

I don't have any friends"THAT" good.  :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.