OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Planting Trees for Turkey & Deer

Started by ncwoodsman, December 21, 2016, 09:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyhorn2

It will be important to remember if you already have deer on your property you should first have a plan to keep them off of your newly planted trees. Deer are naturally inquisitive and find newly planted seedlings very fast. So if you want to have success you will probably have to fence them. I would also recommend that you plant some shrubs along with the mast producing trees. If you plan on owning this property for another 100 years than I would stick to trees native to the area and remember that improving the ground cover can help as much as the trees. By ground cover I mean warm season grasses and forbs. I could go on, but I'll just say that improving your habitat is a worth while adventure and can be extremely frustrating at times. I've been doing this work for 20 yrs. and if you need any advice you can pm me.

ncwoodsman

Each new posting has given me alot to think about going forward. I am definitely going to speak to a local forester and see if I can get some native trees/shrubs locally for a fair price. Also, I'm going to provide some tree and plant protection before wasting my money and letting the deer gnaw them down. I have made some notes on how to move forward with this process.Thanks again guys for all the great responses.

TauntoHawk

Dont forget about shrubs as well often faster growing they offer food and cover. It's the low browse that holds them through the winters
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>