OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 Gauge Longbeards, Now a Reality

Started by Spring Creek Calls, December 15, 2016, 06:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

Check out Clark's post in the Turkey Guns section.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

VA_Birdhunter

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

Tennessee Lead

Perfect timing my Dad just got this Mossberg SA-20 today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Looking forward to trying them out, but it will be hard to beat out my Federal HW 7's.  But I will see. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

Agree, i just wish they were going to have them in 7 shot...not just 5 and 6 shot...

Hooks' n' Beards'

Gooserbat

No offense but I'm not sure I'd like them.  Longbeards are infact devastating but the patern leaves little room for error at close range.  I guided seven hunters last spring with 4 birds missed inside of 25 yards...all with Longbeards.  Just my opinion, now carry-on.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Gooserbat on December 17, 2016, 12:53:38 AM
No offense but I'm not sure I'd like them.  Longbeards are infact devastating but the patern leaves little room for error at close range.  I guided seven hunters last spring with 4 birds missed inside of 25 yards...all with Longbeards.  Just my opinion, now carry-on.

The problem isn't the load.  The problem is inexperienced hunters who fail to realize you don't have to shoot a turkey in the brain at 15 yards.

If they would bring their point of aim down to the feather line below the wattles the problem would be eliminated and they'd still have a devastating load at 45 yards.

You can't have an open 15 yard pattern and expect to have a pattern dense enough to kill at 45.

As a guide, you have the ability to tell the shooter where to shoot the bird.  Tell them to bring their point of aim down and shoot for feathers the next time you encounter that situation.

dejake

Totally agree with Gooserbat.  I wouldn't use them if they were given to me.  I'll stick with the Fed HW7s.

BowBendr

Quote from: dejake on December 17, 2016, 08:30:04 AM
Totally agree with Gooserbat.  I wouldn't use them if they were given to me.  I'll stick with the Fed HW7s.

X2....I get far superior "hunting" patterns with the HW 7's for my hunting style. It won't even be close.
I also foresee a lot of children/kids whiffing on birds over dekes (not discussing dekes) at 15 yds, when they'd be far better served by a 20 ga. load of high-brass 7.5's out of a lt. mod. choke at 15 yds....my kids don't shoot what I shoot, I do provide them with wiggle room when hunting/guiding "kids" in that style
:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

Gooserbat

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on December 17, 2016, 07:45:59 AM
Quote from: Gooserbat on December 17, 2016, 12:53:38 AM

The problem isn't the load.  The problem is inexperienced hunters who fail to realize you don't have to shoot a turkey in the brain at 15 yards.

If they would bring their point of aim down to the feather line below the wattles the problem would be eliminated and they'd still have a devastating load at 45 yards.

You can't have an open 15 yard pattern and expect to have a pattern dense enough to kill at 45.

As a guide, you have the ability to tell the shooter where to shoot the bird.  Tell them to bring their point of aim down and shoot for feathers the next time you encounter that situation.

You read a lot of advertising I think.  I have enough real world experience in killing turkeys to know better.  All the said birds were missed by hunters who know what they are doing.  And yes I've laid 7 or 8 to rest with longbeards.  like i said devastating at long range... And as far as patern I can use my 20 ga with HW #7 and kill to 40 and farther than is OG friendly and still have a basketball size pattern at 20 yards.  TSS is even more effective. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I would say that most people hunting with a guide don't really know what they're doing. If they did know what they're doing they'd be running public ground  or have secured much cheaper access.

If a guy doesn't realize that being closer to the body on close quarter birds with ultratight patterns is more practical then shame on him.

I guess a guy who spends 30 plus mornings a spring and chases them all over the country each year couldn't possibly have an opinion formed based on field/guiding experience instead of some worthless turkey hunting magazine.

To each his own but I tell my people to bring it down and I also do so myself when they are in tight.

Spring Creek Calls

The blame for the turkeys that I've missed lays squarely on my shoulders not my gun or load within it.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

outdoors

I AGREE WITH SPRING CREEK CALLS
IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR GUN CAN DO WITH THE SHOT U USE
HOW CAN U GO WRONG ...... EXCEPT........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Gooserbat

Because when you get excited you don't always shoot straight, and if the game doesn't excite me I wouldn't play.
NWTF Booth 1623