OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

YOUR PUBLIC LAND HOTSPOTS--NOT REALLY A SECRET!!

Started by quavers59, December 02, 2016, 02:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DumpTruckTurkey

LOL to the OPs original post... naming a spot... and then claiming it as "my field".

Public land is just that... public land.  All of us deal with it...

I see a simple solution... Run and Gun style instead of deer hunting them.  Ofcourse, my area is different.... no place I hunt or have ever hunted has any fields.  All my birds have been killed in hardwoods, and they roose different areas almost every night.

quavers59

HA HA---Good post RUTnNStrutn. I am 57 now- but have hunted New York since 1990--Pennsylvania since 1994, and New Jersey since 1994--Spring and Fall in all 3 states. I am just willing to do what other hunters won't--climb a mountain---walk in near 2 miles--whatever it takes to get away from my crowds here. The most important thing that I do is get to the parking lot first. It happens most of the time. I just sit with my coffee and get in there first as well.

quavers59

I hunt NY, PA NJ Spring and Fall since 1990.   I have no doubt that Florida is tougher to get away from crowds! I just do what other turkey hunters won't . Park first a 2am-- walk in 2 miles-whatever it takes.

quavers59

Yup- DumpTruckTurkey-- I have noticed that most hunters head for the fields also. I love hardwoods also---no flashlights bobbing my way at 4.30amLOL!

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: quavers59 on December 05, 2016, 06:39:35 PM
Yup- DumpTruckTurkey-- I have noticed that most hunters head for the fields also. I love hardwoods also---no flashlights bobbing my way at 4.30amLOL!

Quavers...Ill hunt where ever I have to go.....but like u I love hunting the hardwood and will take a hard woods hunt any day over a field if I can! God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

tomstopper

Quote from: VA_Birdhunter on December 05, 2016, 11:51:29 PM
Quote from: quavers59 on December 05, 2016, 06:39:35 PM

Quavers...Ill hunt where ever I have to go.....but like u I love hunting the hardwood and will take a hard woods hunt any day over a field if I can! God bless
Totally agree. I love hunting the timber and watching them come through the trees gobbling

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

quavers59

Out of all my turkey hunting books--more then 20 now--- I really like the quote from the book-- Turkey Hunting---A ONE MAN GAME--where Ken Morgan's Brother Van thinks that some of the classiest gobblers are found back in the hardwoods and around streams.  I like to read that book before each Spring.

silvestris

Van is a mess and he has  real knack for finding gobblers with a personality.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

LI Outdoorsman

Public or private
Turkeys or deer or any critter
There is no such thing as secret spots!

quavers59

I have a few. That gobbler I took with nearly 1 3/4" spurs was OLD. He had 2 buddies or brother with him. If either one lives to next Spring- I hope to nail one before he dies of old age.

Triple Gobble

Public land as you know can be frustrating, but man
Is it that much sweeter when you get one of those old
Weary gobbler that's heard everything and seen everything.
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

BowBendr

Quote from: Treerooster on December 07, 2016, 11:48:29 PM
Quote from: LI Outdoorsman on December 07, 2016, 06:16:13 PM
There is no such thing as secret spots!

But...how do you know?

If a secret spot did exist, wouldn't it be a secret?  ;D

That's why I'm glad I have 2 separate Natl. Forest in my area that are over 500,000 acres each. That's over 1600 sq. mi. combined....shhhhh....secret spots DO exist  ;)

Neill_Prater

Took a guy years ago to a small farm I have permission to hunt in another state. The next Spring, I make my first trip out and talk to my "buddy" and his nephew who have been hunting a few days and find from him that he went by the farm and asked them to hunt and was turned down because the first weekend of the season they always have a special hunt planned, which I already knew from previous interaction with the owner. He was actually mad because he was refused access!

I went by and apologized to the landowner, and, fortunately, no harm was done.In fact, I still hunt there now, 20 years later. Needless to say, that was the end of my association with my "buddy" when it came to hunting. 

Happy

I have secret spots. I hunt public land for both deer and turkey and still do pretty well. It all boils down to how hard are you willing to work for it. These days it don't take much to get away from people. The critters know it also. If you are willing to work and use your head you can be successful. I have told people exactly where I have taken some turkeys and they just shake their heads and say have at it. It isnt for the lazy but you can beat the feeling of sitting beside a public land gobbler while all the part timers down below are calling their brains out trying to convince a bird a half mile away and 800' above them to come over for a look. It's truly comical and entertaining. 

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club