OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shock Gobble--THUNDER CALLER---Is It Possible??

Started by quavers59, November 29, 2016, 07:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

BOWGUY had me rethink this idea with his post about a scratching caller and I wrote about what I heard in a warehouse where I worked at. To recap--that 21/2 foot long sheet of alunimum sounded just like thunder to me. I had the guy shake it again when I walked over there.  And, I have to admit-- I thought about how I could market this as a shock caller. It was just a quick thought however .
    Anybody here ever hear a sheet of alunimum shake?  Could a THUNDER CALLER even be made? I have my doubts----thoughts here.....

Bowguy

A big sheet of aluminum n a warehouse is hard to carry. No seriously thunder sets em off fantastic but I think it'd be hard to duplicate that w anything of decent size that wasn't electronic.
In my opinion the reverberations through the air have a lot to do w it. Can't be sure, just a guess but when you feel the thunder is when birds really hammer at it n for hours afterwards.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: quavers59 on November 29, 2016, 07:18:05 PM
BOWGUY had me rethink this idea with his post about a scratching caller and I wrote about what I heard in a warehouse where I worked at. To recap--that 21/2 foot long sheet of alunimum sounded just like thunder to me. I had the guy shake it again when I walked over there.  And, I have to admit-- I thought about how I could market this as a shock caller. It was just a quick thought however .
    Anybody here ever hear a sheet of alunimum shake?  Could a THUNDER CALLER even be made? I have my doubts----thoughts here.....
Over the last 25 years I have evaluated scores (probably more) of prototypes of "devices" of all kinds. Some have gone on to market success, some fizzled and some never made it to market. The inventor of each of them had an idea that he thought would work, then produced some type of example of it for testing and evaluation. Most of them were discouraged by some, encouraged by others but the ones who succeeded, followed their own course. Of course those who failed did the same.

I've seen some great products that could not get the backing they needed for marketing, never get very far and others get marketing funds from somewhere and then be rejected in the marketplace.

So, if you have an idea and are willing to pursue it, I'd recommend that you go for it. The idea is the first part, then you must find a way to put that idea into a physical form, that works. It normally takes several tries to make it work and that is where many folks give up.

Lastly, you must be willing and able to take both criticism and even ridicule. I could tell you stories of folks I know who endured both for years before achieving success.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gamblinman

A simple air horn works for a long distance shock gobble tool.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Bowguy

Quote from: Gamblinman on December 01, 2016, 06:22:44 AM

So does shooting a shotgun n you have nothing new to carry

CMBOSTC

tomstopper

I keep one of these in my truck for pre season spring scouting when I drive down back roads in the early morning.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: tomstopper on December 01, 2016, 12:44:15 PM
I keep one of these in my truck for pre season spring scouting when I drive down back roads in the early morning.

I usually use the truck horn in that instance.

tomstopper

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on December 01, 2016, 01:41:52 PM

used to do the same but for some reason in my new truck, the horn isn't very loud...lol

CMBOSTC

Quote from: tomstopper on December 01, 2016, 01:45:03 PM

used to do the same but for some reason in my new truck, the horn isn't very loud...lol

Well, the air horn makes an excellent back up if your truck horn isn't loud. It works well for scaring your buddies also.

tomstopper

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on December 01, 2016, 02:52:12 PM

Well, the air horn makes an excellent back up if your truck horn isn't loud. It works well for scaring your buddies also.
It does. One day at my old job, I went into work early and taped one to my buddies office chair so that the can was right up against the bottom of the seat. Took an old pencil and placed it between the chair frame and the button so that when he sat on it, the horn would go off. It scared the hell out of him and everyone on the floor heard it and seen him jump out of the chair. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen.  :funnyturkey:

quavers59

Good replys members!!! I have never used an air horn--but might try. Perhaps one of the turkey call companies has talked about a thunder caller in the past ??

Gooserbat

I knew an old veteran turkey killer in Missouri who at one time carried a big piece of aluminum in his rig for a locator.  It had to have worked or he wouldn't have messed with it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: tomstopper on December 01, 2016, 06:43:13 PM
Quote from: C. Brumfiel on December 01, 2016, 02:52:12 PM

It does. One day at my old job, I went into work early and taped one to my buddies office chair so that the can was right up against the bottom of the seat. Took an old pencil and placed it between the chair frame and the button so that when he sat on it, the horn would go off. It scared the hell out of him and everyone on the floor heard it and seen him jump out of the chair. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen.  :funnyturkey:

Oh I've done this many times and keep one in my office in my desk!  Gets them every time!   I'll also sit it behind a door just right on the ground at the point where the door end meets the wall if I'm in a rush and don't have time to tape it to the chair....it works well also!!
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

VA_Birdhunter

Thunder will sure pull a gobble out of them when nothing else willl!  I've heard them gobble to thunder all times of the year and if I'm where I know  turkey  normally  are I always stop and listen after it thunders.   God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens