turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Big bucks and their effect on hunting

Started by wvmntnhick, November 11, 2016, 01:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

I've never been an antler hunter. It's always been about the meat for me. I've never seen a good recipe for antlers in any cook book in my life. Having said that, in recent years, I've found myself letting bucks go that I'd typically be tickled with. The past few years I've been able to tag along with a fella that shoots deer on crop damage permits and as he fills the tags, I fill my freezer. This access has allowed me to be a bit more picky about what I shoot. Here's the funny thing though. When I'm hunting the farm near where I currently live (lots of ag land and the deer occasionally get a chance to get older) I tend to pass up bucks that I'd never consider passing on while hunting in my hometown. In fact, I've passed on several basket rack 2 y/o's and even let a 3-4 y/o 8 point go by the other day without even trying to stop him in the lane. It wasn't like I didn't want to shoot him because I most certainly did. Still wish I had but it's not really tearing me up too bad. There was a really good buck on the property that I missed nearly 2 weeks ago and I got to watch him for a good while on Tuesday. Got close but never got it done. Not really sure what the point I'm trying to make is but I feel inclined to ask, does it make sense to pass on a buck here only to shoot a buck of lesser quality back home? Honestly, the added pressure of trying to wait the bigger, smarter bucks out is a bit much at times. No doubt some will say it's worth it. Others will flat out say that the only reason they've ever killed big bucks is because it's the first deer that showed up that day. I do get tired of seeing all the hyped up stuff on tv with these fools shooting large deer and then not paying the respect the animal deserves. The antler craze has certainly ruined the game in many regards. My question is simply, is it really worth it in the end? I'm not criticizing in any way. Just wondering what others thought ps may be on the topic. Again, this is not intended to start an argument, just a conversation.

Devastator

I pass on the smaller buck and shoot doe for my meat,much better eating!!

2eagles

I'm a meat hunter, pure and simple. We eat deer, goose, ducks and turkey, seldom bring home store bought meat except chicken. I've shot a few nice bucks. One is even hanging on my wall. QDM is great for those who want to play the game, but not for me. I don't hunt at a friends place anymore at all because bucks shot must be big enough to go to the taxi. I just brought home a 6pt basket buck from a popular WMA. He's already in the freezer and will taste real good. It bothers me the way tv makes it look like Iowa has a MONSTER behind every tree. Shoot whatever makes you happy!

KentuckyHeadhunter

It all depends on where I'm hunting.  On our club/lease we only take "shooters" and we let decent deer walk for another year.  I am always eager to shoot a doe there and if a big boy walks out then that's a bonus.  On the other hand if I'm hunting in the National Forest, on public land, I will shoot anything within the regs.  I like horns but I like bacon wrapped backstraps and country fried venison cube steak better!  As hunters mature and cultivate their own experiences we have a tendency to refine our habits to our own liking and personal challenges. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Happy

Peronally I would rather run a weedeater while naked in a sandbox than hunt the way the horn humpers do on tv. If some one wants to raise giant racks on their private estate and then puff their chest out then more power to them. Not saying that everyone that waits for a mature buck is that way at all but tv sure would lead you feel that's the only way to do it. I tend to hunt accordingly to the location. Most areas I hunt are public and I take any buck I feel like taking within the legal limits of the law. Other areas where there is a better possibility of the buck getting a chance to grow I give young ones a free pass and would take a do first. I prefer to hunt hard and try to keep it pretty basic. I would rather shoot a four point on public land using my bow, a climbing treestand and my skill as a hunter than I would a 180" buck on a private farm with the help of trail cameras, bait and a crossbow. It's just my preference. I get out what I put into it. Others will have their preferences and that's fine too. I hunt in a way that makes me happy. You should do the same. I have never measured sucess entirely on what I have killed. I measure it in how I succeeded.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

captpete

If you think the pressure is bad there, you should live in the home of monster bucks...Iowa. It is becoming real crazy here. A guy I work with is always complaining about people shooting little bucks. One year I shot spike, because you can use a doe tag on it. He jokingly(but really meant it) told me I was stupid for shooting 1 1/2 yr old deer....I should have shot a doe instead. Then he complains that deer numbers are down because people are shooting to many does. He & his boys don't shoot any does or bucks unless it's at least 2" outside it's ears. He hasn't shot a buck with a bow in 4 yrs. and only 2 during shotgun in the same amount of time.

I took this last week off to bow hunt. In the last 7 days I spent between 35 - 40 hrs. in the stand waiting for the "monster". I saw several nice bucks that would probably be in the 130-150 range. I passed on many little bucks( forks, 6's and basket 8's).  I did the same last year and never shot a buck. After that many hours in the stand this year, I had a shot this morning at a nice 9pt so I took it. The deer would probably only score about 110 -115 & weight about 175lb. dressed. The sad part is it almost makes you like you don't want anybody to know you shot one that "small". Plus it almost makes yo feel like you don't know how to hunt. I don't need to take a big buck to be happy with my hunting, but I try not to take small bucks either. I do know the feeling of taking bigger deer. I have taken several... 2 Pope & Young and 1 Boone & Crocket(all with the bow). I also have 2 others that missed making P&Y by less than 2 1/2".

arkrem870

When I was a kid I killed every deer I saw. Now days I am very selective.... I like to hunt and passing deer gives more time in the woods. I search out mature bucks with trail cameras and hunt them when the time/weather/wind is right. When I connect with my target deer it makes me very happy..... I shoot doe for the table. Bucks for the wall
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Will

I think you mature as you go especially along with your experiences as mentioned earlier. Growing up I hunted Western Maryland. Deer of a lot less quality as for antler growth but it was a deer none the less. In my mid 20's I began hunting with friends in Central Maryland and Eastern Shore. This changed my outlook in many ways. I saw more deer, bigger bucks and was able to watch things improve from year to year as far as maturity. I could even rattle deer in on one farm I hunted which really adds a whole new aspect to the game.. Then it became about the challenge. The challenge of seeing and harvesting a mature scorable buck. Trying to get in his world beat his defenses and enjoy the process along the way. I have two P&Y that I'm proud of but would never have harvested them with a brown and down mentality. It's funny because there are times especially during gunning season I'm trigger itchy.

TV is TV which is about the industry and selling gear IMO. I know exactly where your coming from. I still kill does but not around the rut. I look at chasing big bucks like chasing mature gobblers. Natures  chess game!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Will on November 11, 2016, 08:05:58 PM
I think you mature as you go especially along with your experiences as mentioned earlier. Growing up I hunted Western Maryland. Deer of a lot less quality as for antler growth but it was a deer none the less. In my mid 20's I began hunting with friends in Central Maryland and Eastern Shore. This changed my outlook in many ways. I saw more deer, bigger bucks and was able to watch things improve from year to year as far as maturity. I could even rattle deer in on one farm I hunted which really adds a whole new aspect to the game.. Then it became about the challenge. The challenge of seeing and harvesting a mature scorable buck. Trying to get in his world beat his defenses and enjoy the process along the way. I have two P&Y that I'm proud of but would never have harvested them with a brown and down mentality. It's funny because there are times especially during gunning season I'm trigger itchy.

TV is TV which is about the industry and selling gear IMO. I know exactly where your coming from. I still kill does but not around the rut. I look at chasing big bucks like chasing mature gobblers. Natures  chess game!
Western Maryland. I'm familiar with the area. In fact, grew up right across the border from Garrett county. That's the area that I speak of getting excited about shooting smaller bucks. Some disagree but when I'm home and the deer is legal, I'm letting it fly. Looking forward to getting back there in a little over a week.

Tail Feathers

Don't feel bad about your hunting.  If it's legal and gives you the thrill of the hunt, that's what counts.  Be that horns or meat, whatever brings you joy in the field and taking game.
Me, my family doesn't eat much deer meat and I like the thrill of big antlers so I wait for those.  Sometimes they don't come and I go home and have tag soup.  I eat what I kill to be sure, but my choice makes me happy. 
If it comes down to meat, I always have a doe permit. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Will

Quote from: wvmntnhick on November 11, 2016, 09:06:27 PM

Western Maryland. I'm familiar with the area. In fact, grew up right across the border from Garrett county. That's the area that I speak of getting excited about shooting smaller bucks. Some disagree but when I'm home and the deer is legal, I'm letting it fly. Looking forward to getting back there in a little over a week.

Oh yea I grew up hunting Swallow Falls and Snaggy Mountain.
Things change once you go over Savage Mountain. It's a different hunting but it will humble you quick. Different elements when you talk weather which can change your approach to. I've hunted there and watched it rain, sleet and snow within minutes. A place where I've seen snow showers turned into 5-6" snow fall. To me a trophy is in the eyes of the beholder as they say. I've killed some big deer but one I'm especially proud of was a three legged spike. I went deep and used opening day pressure to my advantage. A plan came together and for that I was proud. That spot and approach yielded a few more bucks over the years.
I appreciate this discussion. Today is Maryland youth day and my oldest son and I drove three hours to Crisfield however I mentioned this discussion on the way down. He has also killed a couple mature ones but I reminded him not to get caught up in the big buck faze. If it gets you going then take it.

renegade19

Sometimes, a big ole long nose doe is almost as good a trophy as a 140" buck.  They can be real jinky too.  Right now, my personal thought on bucks is he needs to be a little bigger than one I've killed before or he gets a pass.  But that might change if I need to meet my quota for deer meat later this season.  Usually 3-4 maybe 5 will hold us over for the year.  BTW, we process all of our own.  Nothing sent out for me.  Heading out to find one just a "little' bigger in a few.  Good luck all!

Happy

Quote from: Will on November 12, 2016, 04:46:11 AM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on November 11, 2016, 09:06:27 PM

Oh yea I grew up hunting Swallow Falls and Snaggy Mountain.
Things change once you go over Savage Mountain. It's a different hunting but it will humble you quick. Different elements when you talk weather which can change your approach to. I've hunted there and watched it rain, sleet and snow within minutes. A place where I've seen snow showers turned into 5-6" snow fall. To me a trophy is in the eyes of the beholder as they say. I've killed some big deer but one I'm especially proud of was a three legged spike. I went deep and used opening day pressure to my advantage. A plan came together and for that I was proud. That spot and approach yielded a few more bucks over the years.
I appreciate this discussion. Today is Maryland youth day and my oldest son and I drove three hours to Crisfield however I mentioned this discussion on the way down. He has also killed a couple mature ones but I reminded him not to get caught up in the big buck faze. If it gets you going then take it.
Sitting here in a treestand in wv listening to a few rifles Crack over in Garrett Co now. Bout a half mile from the border ss the crow flies. Good luck all you younguns!

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

wvmntnhick

Not sure if the deer got me shaking or the cold temps but there was a spike that just strolled by and I swear I was about to put one in him just so I could climb down and go home. Haha. Only action I've had today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNCTracker

I think in general a spike should live another day and a doe is great for eating. I also think there's a place at a time in ones life trophy hunting is very rewarding for personal accomplishment. That being said.....I started the season going to wait for a good rack this year, it's my first archery season, I've got plenty of time and  I've never gotten one. I had some really nice bucks for my area on camera this summer. I got a decent 6 point (first archery kill) opening morning and let some does and a spike walk the next 2 weeks. Well, it's been one heck of a season.... I haven't seen a DEER in 20 hunts since September 18th.  Needless to say I'd be thrilled to take doe with an arrow, just as happy as I'd be to shoot a buck in rifle season. I guess to answer the OP: for me it changes as the season ticks away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk