OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Some more musings

Started by Happy, October 03, 2016, 06:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

So here's my question. Do you think turkey hunters would be more successful if they learned to play two or three particular calls really well as opposed to playing a large variety of calls so so? I am not talking about types of calls. I am talking about individual calls. Could be two boxes and a trumpet, three pot calls ect. Personally I vote yes. I love having many calls as much as anyone but I am thinking if I really knuckle down and learned a few of my calls as well as I know my favorite diaghrams I would be better off.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

renegade19

Interesting theory.  For me, I think it might be  as important to find the specific pot call that the turkey wants to hear on any particular day.  That being said, my go to mouth call is a Hook's Enforcer.  I use several different pots but I think I've gotten really good with all of them so it's hard to say.  That's a lot of words to say "I don't know"!   :goofball:

guesswho

It definately won't hurt.   But I think most hunters would benefit more from learning what makes for a killing spot (set-up) versus a this looks good spot.   I'd choose a killing spot and one call I play pretty well over a good looking spot and ten calls I can play well.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

outdoors

YUP NOT A BAD IDEA BUT IM HOOKED ON THE 3 L's

LOCATION.  LOCATION. LOCATION ..........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

wvmntnhick

Quote from: guesswho on October 03, 2016, 09:31:07 PM
It definately won't hurt.   But I think most hunters would benefit more from learning what makes for a killing spot (set-up) versus a this looks good spot.   I'd choose a killing spot and one call I play pretty well over a good looking spot and ten calls I can play well.
This may be the single most common sense thing I've heard on this board to date.

As for the calls, I've got more than I could possibly use on any given day. You and I have hunted together enough that you pretty much know I'm bringing a box call with me for various reasons and that's a call I rely on when birds really get tight lipped. Having said that, I've got a couple pots I rotate but there's almost always one that comes out first and if any of you have paid attention to my posts, you know who made it. Also, there's one type of diaphragm that I feel I run very well so it stays with me as well. If those three calls are with me, we're in business so long as the bird wants to play a little.

Greg Massey

I agree, i like using more than one call for sure..i like pot calls and box calls, my go to call is a slate call first...As far as calls i have more than i will ever use...i do like collecting calls...i have different box calls i use depend on weather and wind conditions. Pot calls i use the same way depending on weather and wind...woodsmanship plays a large part also in killing birds, a lot of the time a bird can tell you a lot about weather he's killable just by reacting to your calling or different calls...You have to have birds to kill birds and location is good...

mgm1955

:agreed: :agreed: :agreed:

hookedspur

I agree . This will kill a lot of the birds, even if you have average or less, calling ability .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

silvestris

I have around six callers that I carry (multiple variations of some) and that I am reasonably proficient with.  Each caller has a call that it excels in producing.  The trick is reading your gobbler to determine which call or combination is likely to tickle his fancy on a given morning.  With some gobblers, if you make the wrong call or present the call with imperfection, he ain't a gonna come to anything that morning.  I have accidentally discovered the best caller I have ever used and I have found the most charming, talented 87 year old man who has agreed to teach me to turn wood so that I can perfect the engineering and produce them.  The caller is not going to call every gobbler that hears it, but it will always tell him that it is safe over there.  Once perfected I will probably donate one to the site call contest.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

SteelerFan

"Woodsman-ship" & location aside... assuming you have already taken that out of the equation - you know when and where to set up. I'll agree with your assessment of perfecting a few is more beneficial than trying a lot. Confidence in the call and your ability to play it goes a long way. If you give out your best serenade from one of your top instruments, and you get little to no cooperation from Mr. Tom, then you know it's him and not you. Without that confidence, you'll leave the woods always wondering... "maybe shoulda tried X, Y, or Z call?"

The real fun comes with trying to master as many, and as many types as possible. Just because we can!  ;D

jblackburn

I think so.  I played around with calling contests  (and still try to do one or two a year for fun) for a couple years and I learned a couple things: 1.  I'm probably not going to win many contests (esp with mouth calls), but it's fun to hang around with other guys/gals that are turkey crazy, like me; 2) while there are differences in calling for judges/toms, there is equally as much over ap.  My 1) getting more familiar with turkey vocabulary I had to 2) get to know my calls very well.  A black sharpie marks my slate pots for different calls (like where to hold for a cutt vs cluck).
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Happy

That's kinda where I am coming from. Sometimes where I hunt it is impossible to be in "the killing" spot due to it being on OPP, that is other people's property.
I am not one to trespass at all so my sucess hinges on calling more than woodsmanship in that situation. Now I will not disagree with the fact that woodsmanship kills a pile of birds but I also believe a good caller can make birds do things a so so caller cannot. At least occasionally anyhows. I have had decent success doing this and these areas have a decent amount of birds or I wouldn't bother hunting them. I just think to be the best caller I can be I need to know a few calls inside and out to really get the most out of them.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on October 04, 2016, 04:19:41 PM
That's kinda where I am coming from. Sometimes where I hunt it is impossible to be in "the killing" spot due to it being on OPP, that is other people's property.
I am not one to trespass at all so my sucess hinges on calling more than woodsmanship in that situation. Now I will not disagree with the fact that woodsmanship kills a pile of birds but I also believe a good caller can make birds do things a so so caller cannot. At least occasionally anyhows. I have had decent success doing this and these areas have a decent amount of birds or I wouldn't bother hunting them. I just think to be the best caller I can be I need to know a few calls inside and out to really get the most out of them.

agree

mtns2hunt

"Confidence in a call just breeds more confidence in the whole hunt." I too have many calls but mainly use four or five where I hunt. I do have confidence in my calls and call in Turkeys consistently. My question is how often do you practice? If you only practice just before the season it makes sense to master only a few. But I have Turkeys on the ridge behind my house most of the year and I am always calling to them. This presents the opportunity to play ( master) with many calls.

I must be missing something on the location thing. Never, had to have a special spot. I know where the Turkeys travel on the land I hunt or even in the mountains. Just find an area that looks good. I know that is contrary to some other opinions but that is how I hunt and its always worked.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Happy

I call year round. Have been running calls for over 20 years. Always think there is room for improvement. As far as "killing spots"go I have had a few. These are areas I know turkeys want to be. I have several spots that through experience I know I have really high odds of taking a bird. I know how they travel through the area, where they like to strut and most importantly where the hens like to hang out. It's been my experience that it is way easier to kill a Tom when calling from a spot he likes to frequent and where he expects hens to be. Based on where they are roosted I can usually get pretty close to where they are going to head after flydown. The spots I am resorting to relying more on calling are spots that I cannot legally get in the correct position on the tom. They roost about 50 yards onto private property and follow the Ridgeline to a small meadow. All of this is ground I don't have access to. I have to pull the Tom's about 100 yards out of their normal line of travel to kill them. A few have made the mistake of roosting on the side I can hunt and they have paid dearly for it. But that is not the norm. Most I have killed by pulling them out of their normal route a bit. I hope to one day be able to find "killing spots" just by looking at them and getting that feeling. Happens once in a while but I definitely haven't mastered it.