OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New pup in the woods

Started by wvmntnhick, September 06, 2016, 10:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

I don't expect this to get much attention on a turkey board but figured I'd share anyway. Couple years ago I lost a very good squirrel dog to kidney failure. Biz (short for Biscuit and no, I didn't get to name him before my little girl took over) wasn't quite 2 years old when he died but I'd have put that dog against any other in the way of intelligence, prey drive, tree power and overall ability. He was awesome to say the least and I'd give up a lot of things to get that one back. I was struggling getting over him and decided after a while that I'd get a cur so I could get back into coon hunting because I'd missed it somewhat. Then I realized that I didn't like the dark as much as I used to so gave him away before I got to see what he was capable of. Anyway, broke down last August and got another feist pup from the same guy that I'd gotten Biz from. He was too young to hunt last fall and with my work schedule over the summer, the high temps we had, the large quantity of venomous snakes present this year, etc. I didn't even get him out until last Sunday. Last Sunday was his first trip to the woods and he's just over a year old. Well, he hunted hard. We saw a squirrel pass in front of us and both young dogs were not in position to see it so we headed over there. He hit the track, ran it to a tree (not the right one but certainly one the squirrel had been on just before we got there) and had both feet buried into the bark as he looked up into the leaves. You can't teach a dog to look up. That's just pure instinct and breeding. My partner lightly shook a sapling that was nearby and he broke form the tree the check the shaking leaves and then returned to the tree. He shook it again lily with a similar reaction but this time the pup whimpered. He tried it one more time and the pup broke over this time and started barking thinking that the squirrel had timbered. I generally wouldn't condone such a thing but it was good to see that he's got the right mind to become a great dog. He did eventually find the right tree and worked it over pretty hard. I'm impressed with this young dog and can't wait for the leaves to come off as he's going to really turn the corner when that happens. Sorry for the long read.

SwampRooster17

That's awesome! Glad to hear you finally got to start your pup. Good luck with him. There ain't nothing like running dogs and watching them work the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2eagles

I've never hunted squirrels with a dog. Sounds like fun. Good luck.

jed clampett

Good luck with your pup...i love dogs be it a huntin dog or house dog...used to have English setters for a pheasant dog...many years ago...there just ain't no more birds here in Illinois...ran some good coon dogs with a buddy to..that was years ago also...blueticks and leapord cur...old blue and Wally!!

wvmntnhick

Thanks fellas. I'm excited about this fall with the new guy. Still not sure how he'll stack up against what the old man or Biz used to be but I've got a lot of hope for this young feller.

1iagobblergetter

In my opinion there's nothing like hunting with a dog no matter what it is. I love watching or hearing a good dog work and to me brings my hunting experience to a whole new level when I'm fortunate enough to hunt with someone that has one. I had Champion Bluetick Coon hounds and traveled a fair amount competing with them several years ago. Wouldn't mind getting a lab for pheasants and ducks,but couldn't do it justice with my time constraints. Same reason no more hounds.

Bowguy

Greg Massey

lot's of luck with your new dog...got to love them...

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Good luck with him, nothing like a good dog.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Tail Feathers

It's one of life's small pleasures to watch a well trained hunting dog work.  Congrats and I hope you have many successful hunts together. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Farmboy27

Best of luck!  A friend of mine has a squirrel dog. I always made fun, telling him that I'd be danged if I'd pay to feed a dog all year just to hunt bushy tails!  Then I went along. Wow, I had a blast!  I always loved hunting with good beagles and good fox hounds. I don't know why I thought a good cur would be any different. Now I make it a point to go along a few times a year and always enjoy myself!  Congrats on your new buddy!  Wishing you many years of treeing.

mgm1955

outdoors

SOUNDS LIKE ALOT OF FUN
GOOD LUCK WITH' M.  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Farmboy27 on September 07, 2016, 06:49:46 PM
Best of luck!  A friend of mine has a squirrel dog. I always made fun, telling him that I'd be danged if I'd pay to feed a dog all year just to hunt bushy tails!  Then I went along. Wow, I had a blast!  I always loved hunting with good beagles and good fox hounds. I don't know why I thought a good cur would be any different. Now I make it a point to go along a few times a year and always enjoy myself!  Congrats on your new buddy!  Wishing you many years of treeing.
Cur? CUR?! We don't feed curs in this household. It's feist's or nothing here. Only thing cur's are good for is keeping the toilet bowl clean.  :TooFunny:

I've had a couple cur's in the past. Neither suited my tastes but they are good dogs. If I lived in a spot that didn't have neighbors right on top of me I'd probably have one. They're just too loud for where I'm at. Love the sound of a good cur on a tree though. Feist's tend to be more eyes and ears though. Don't get as many lay ups but you tend to get fewer dens and slick trees. Not saying that's all cur's do but with the feist's relying more on a hot track, visual sightings or hearing the squirrel, you just get fewer instances like mentioned above. Having said that, a good cur that has good winding abilities will put you on squirrels a feist would typically blow past. Pros and cons to each I suppose.

Farmboy27

Quote from: wvmntnhick on September 07, 2016, 09:09:30 PM
Quote from: Farmboy27 on September 07, 2016, 06:49:46 PM
Cur? CUR?! We don't feed curs in this household. It's feist's or nothing here. Only thing cur's are good for is keeping the toilet bowl clean.  :TooFunny:

I've had a couple cur's in the past. Neither suited my tastes but they are good dogs. If I lived in a spot that didn't have neighbors right on top of me I'd probably have one. They're just too loud for where I'm at. Love the sound of a good cur on a tree though. Feist's tend to be more eyes and ears though. Don't get as many lay ups but you tend to get fewer dens and slick trees. Not saying that's all cur's do but with the feist's relying more on a hot track, visual sightings or hearing the squirrel, you just get fewer instances like mentioned above. Having said that, a good cur that has good winding abilities will put you on squirrels a feist would typically blow past. Pros and cons to each I suppose.
Didn't mean to imply that your dog was a cur! Lol! Just saying my buddies is. Never hunted with a Feist. But I don't know much on squirrel dogs either.  Guess it's like the old redbone vs Black and Tan with fox hounds!