Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just wondering if anyone else does this ?

Started by 1iagobblergetter, September 06, 2016, 08:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jed clampett

For deer I was all clothes in scent free soap and dry them on the clothes line..then I spray them down with scent killer and let them dry....put them in a scentkiller sprayed and dried clean tote...throw in a few leaves as well....take a scent shower an dry off with scent killer washed towels...dress an put my boots on at where I hunt...then spray down with scent killer ...also spray bow..arrows an release...everything....for turkey hunting..ilove it..i get dressed an go!!!

captpete

Quote from: jed clampett on September 07, 2016, 09:43:16 AM
For deer I was all clothes in scent free soap and dry them on the clothes line..then I spray them down with scent killer and let them dry....put them in a scentkiller sprayed and dried clean tote...throw in a few leaves as well....take a scent shower an dry off with scent killer washed towels...dress an put my boots on at where I hunt...then spray down with scent killer ...also spray bow..arrows an release...everything....for turkey hunting..ilove it..i get dressed an go!!!

This is me also!

wvmntnhick

Used to go through the steps y'all have mentioned for deer but I'm betting it's a waste of time. The studies have proven that the scent suits and sprays are ineffective. Well, ineffective at what they claim anyway. Pretty effective at getting hunters to part with their wallet. Guess it's a matter of confidence though. If you think it helps, go for it.

Farmboy27

Quote from: wvmntnhick on September 08, 2016, 12:48:44 PM
Used to go through the steps y'all have mentioned for deer but I'm betting it's a waste of time. The studies have proven that the scent suits and sprays are ineffective. Well, ineffective at what they claim anyway. Pretty effective at getting hunters to part with their wallet. Guess it's a matter of confidence though. If you think it helps, go for it.
Pretty well sums up my thoughts. I've shot lots of deer with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth. I long ago decided that if they are going to smell you, then they are going to smell you no matter what. But that's just my experience. I have friends who are crazy about scent control.  If you think it helps, then do it! 

Ihuntoldschool

I don't concern myself with scent control when turkey hunting.  My experience has been that scent control helps for deer hunting. 

davisd9

Quote from: guesswho on September 06, 2016, 08:36:39 PM
I don't.    I figure they hear deer blow and see them run on a pretty regular basis.   If I get busted by deer while turkey hunting while engaged with a bird I'll shut up and sit tight for about 20 minutes then ease back into it.   If I'm not engaged with a bird and get busted by deer I just keep on keeping on.

Agreed.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mtns2hunt

I agree with the general consensus: No need for sent control when Turkey hunting. Feel the same way about deer hunting: monitor the wind but maintain proper hygiene. I have found that sprays work well on my deer decoys but then my decoys don't don't shed dead skin cells, hair or the scent from breakfast, gas station or truck. I just shutter when thinking about individuals that feel because they are in camp they need to smell the part. Ugh. ???
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: mtns2hunt on September 18, 2016, 09:42:16 PM
I agree with the general consensus: No need for sent control when Turkey hunting. Feel the same way about deer hunting: monitor the wind but maintain proper hygiene. I have found that sprays work well on my deer decoys but then my decoys don't don't shed dead skin cells, hair or the scent from breakfast, gas station or truck. I just shutter when thinking about individuals that feel because they are in camp they need to smell the part. Ugh. ???
Gotta keep in mind that not all camps have running water. The idea of trying to use a solar powered outdoor shower when it's only 4* outside isn't that appealing either. Just a thought.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: wvmntnhick on September 18, 2016, 11:45:25 PM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on September 18, 2016, 09:42:16 PM
Gotta keep in mind that not all camps have running water. The idea of trying to use a solar powered outdoor shower when it's only 4* outside isn't that appealing either. Just a thought.

I agree that keeping clean can be a challenge. I always ask about the facilities prior to a hunt but even so I can always boil up a pot of water and sponge down. I am no stranger to Canada or back country hunting. Still, each to his own :jackson:

Rick Howard

Do you hold your breathe while hunting?  In total More smell comes out the yap than the exit end...  Patent pending is scent eliminating chewing gums and respirators.  Also due to come, scent eliminating flatulence cushions.  My wife has been waiting for one of those for years.  God she stinks.

Gamblinman

Not me..first thing I do when I step out of the truck is light a cigar..smoke it to my first set up. Usually keep it lit and smoking until I have a bird coming. Seems to keep the deer away.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Gamblinman on September 30, 2016, 07:46:33 AM
Not me..first thing I do when I step out of the truck is light a cigar..smoke it to my first set up. Usually keep it lit and smoking until I have a bird coming. Seems to keep the deer away.
Sir, I think we should start hunting together. I've recently been turned onto good cigars and compared to the cheap ones I smoked in the past, well, there's no comparison. Love a good cigar.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Gamblinman on September 30, 2016, 07:46:33 AM

Probably keep the bugs away during the later part of the season as well. :newmascot: