OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Guided hunt

Started by Bowguy, August 22, 2016, 08:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Hey guys Ive got a friend who wants to take his son to kill his first turkey on a guided hunt. Somewhere theyll see birds, have a good chance at success n not extremely pricey. I don't think he wants bare bones either. I've offered to help them locally if they wish but if going out of state what could we recommend them and why? They tried a place in S Carolina I believe n didn't even see burds. He doesn't want to burn his son out on bad hunts. Thanks

Brian Fahs

From the deer hunting I have done in kansas I believe the spring turkey hunting would be hard to beat. There are a lot of outfitters who offer reasonable rates and high success. Logistics would probably be the biggest expense. I have seen stupid numbers of gobblers in Northeast and south central kansas. Just make sure there is a water source on the ptoprrty.

mgm1955

Consider a TX Rio hunt.

hotrod3h

Doing your homework you can normally count on great hunts in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky. Wouldn't suggest any southern states those birds are tough and mean.

yelpaholic

Brute buck outfitters in Kentucky

mtns2hunt

Quote from: hotrod3h on August 22, 2016, 09:53:17 PM
Doing your homework you can normally count on great hunts in Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky. Wouldn't suggest any southern states those birds are tough and mean.

I agree those Southern birds are not right. They are ornery, and rather schizoid. Oklahoma offers some good but inexpensive hunts. Hunt can be really inexpensive if you go for the self guided hunt. Cook your own meals ex. Many options to lessen costs. Plus there are lots of birds in Oklahoma and Kansas and most hunts are two bird affairs and many outfitters offer the opportunity to hunt two or even three species. Good luck! :z-twocents:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

tomstopper

Ohio is another area to look at.

hookedspur

It looks Like he might be close to several states that have some very good turkey hunting ,if he lives there in NJ.
I would suggest looking in NY and PA, Close to home and some great hunting to be had..
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

fallhnt

NE. has a early youth only season. Beamers Guide Service has lots of birds.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Bowguy

It's his son but not a youth n I believe he wants it guided and away as pop n son bonding time. His college classes end in Mid May

davisd9

The south is a great place to hunt birds! Hard to beat a farm or swamp eastern!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mtns2hunt

Quote from: davisd9 on August 23, 2016, 03:20:02 PM
The south is a great place to hunt birds! Hard to beat a farm or swamp eastern!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree the south is a great place to hunt. Success, however, can be a little tougher for the beginner. I know I learned the hard way.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

LI Outdoorsman

I hear that....had an Alabama swamp gobbler beat me up pretty good this year..Cagey bastards!

Farmboy27

Quote from: hookedspur on August 23, 2016, 04:13:13 AM
It looks Like he might be close to several states that have some very good turkey hunting ,if he lives there in NJ.
I would suggest looking in NY and PA, Close to home and some great hunting to be had..

Oh lord no! Not PA! Lol!  I live and hunt PA, but if you're trying to get a new hunter a bird on an out of state hunt, there are far better options!  PA has one of the highest hunter per capita ratios in the country. Great place for a trial by fire, not a good place for confidence building!