OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Freezer Jam

Started by Spring Creek Calls, August 17, 2016, 05:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

Bought strawberries yesterday and picked blackberries this morning and the freezer jam is in jars and ready for the freezer tomorrow. Did 3 pints of strawberry/blackberry mix and the rest all strawberry and all blackberry. Should get us thru till next summer.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

eorlando

Man that looks delicious.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Looks good, we do muscadine jelly each year.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

owlhoot

Oh yeah , now need to make fresh biscuits and your set !

mgm1955

Tail Feathers

If that tastes as good as it looks you are in business!  MMMMMMM HHMMMMMM! :drool:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

I made strawberry and peach freezer jam this year...so so so good...

bbcoach

Mike, what is FREEZER jam?  I've never heard that term before.  I'm very familiar with making jams and jellies, putting them up in Ball jars but we just call them strawberry, blackberry jam.  My grandmothers use to have homemade jam and jellies on the dining room table for every meal, to go with warm homemade biscuits.  UMMMMMMMMM!

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: bbcoach on August 18, 2016, 07:45:43 AM
Mike, what is FREEZER jam?  I've never heard that term before.  I'm very familiar with making jams and jellies, putting them up in Ball jars but we just call them strawberry, blackberry jam.  My grandmothers use to have homemade jam and jellies on the dining room table for every meal, to go with warm homemade biscuits.  UMMMMMMMMM!

Freezer jam involves no cooking, except for boiling water and the pectin to stiffen up the mixture of berries and sugar. One jar in the fridge and the rest to the freezer to be pulled one jar at a time. Mash up the berries, add sugar, let set for 10 minutes, stir in the hot pectin/water mix for 3 minutes and into the jars. I put up 18 pints in about 3 hours.

MDSTRUTNRUT

We Make strawberry freezer jam every year, it's just awesome!   I think we're addicted to it.    Sometimes it doesn't jell good, don't know why but then we have the best strawberry syrup you've ever had  LOL.    We have made a big batch before and skipped a year tastes just as good 2 years old.    Have made peach and blueberry before but strawberry's our favorite.   Use liquid Certo pectin, put our in plastic tupperware containers.

Jbird22

Any of you Northern folk ever eaten Mayhaw jelly?

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: JBIRD22 on August 18, 2016, 06:25:42 PM
Any of you Northern folk ever eaten Mayhaw jelly?

This old northern boy never has. Fill me in.

Happy

Don't believe I have ever even heard of  mayhaw jelly. I believe jalapeƱo jelly is about as exotic as I have tried. It was pretty good.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bbcoach

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on August 18, 2016, 10:56:31 AM
Quote from: bbcoach on August 18, 2016, 07:45:43 AM

Freezer jam involves no cooking, except for boiling water and the pectin to stiffen up the mixture of berries and sugar. One jar in the fridge and the rest to the freezer to be pulled one jar at a time. Mash up the berries, add sugar, let set for 10 minutes, stir in the hot pectin/water mix for 3 minutes and into the jars. I put up 18 pints in about 3 hours.
Got it!  My Grandmother's did everything Old School.  They had a root cellar that housed all of their winter stores.  They heat canned everything, jams, jellies, vegetables, sausage and everything went in the root cellar.  No freezer for them.  Meat was salt cured and preserved for winter as well.  Thanks for the explanation.

Tail Feathers

Mayhaw jelly rocks!
I got a couple of my WV buddies hooked on it.  I take some every spring for 'em.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!