turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Southern Folks

Started by tomstopper, August 11, 2016, 07:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Well after 5 years at my job, I was let go last week. My wife and I have decided that we want to move south. Any suggestions on some good locations (thinking of tenn, NC, VA). She is a nurse and can get hired almost anywheres and I will find work someplace when we move. Thanks for any suggestions

KentuckyHeadhunter

Of those choices I would say TN.  Then go to the eastern side. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Greg Massey

Come to Tenn....look at living in Medina Tenn....great town with great people and schools...west Tenn.
You want regret it at all....

bbcoach

Eastern Tennessee would be my suggestion.  I read where Tennessee is going with no state tax very soon.  Bristol, Johnson City and Kingsport are growing and have some great hospitals and doctors for the wife.  Cost of living is relatively low.  Plenty of land available should you decide to buy and build. Hunting and fishing is very good and the Tri cities area puts you in close proximity to 3 states for deer, turkeys and some great trout fishing.  Good Luck with your search.

dejake

Great post.  I'm nearing retirement and am looking at western NC or eastern TN.  Can't wait to read recommendations. 

yelpaholic

Maryville ten seems like a cool place to live always pass through there going to Gatlinburg

turkeyfoot

I'm a nurse myself so can tell you the closer you get to population the more money she will make doesn't have to be a big city just medium sized town. As far as the west NC east Tenn or far west part of VA the salaries are just low and sad case for nurses its why I moved. Lot to consider here people are saying east Tenn and its a beautiful place to live but if you get in high country of western NC, SW part of VA, or east Tenn deer numbers drop turkey numbers are respectable in all those areas but are much better in say certain west Tenn counties, eastern Va counties and eastern NC  same with deer population goes way up. I'm from VA and have hunted many times in all those places you mentioned Live in NC at present and out of those I would choose central to west Tenn or central to east VA for wildlife both states keep harvest reports by county so won't be hard to see which is best. Now as far as the temps and beautiful Appalachian Mtns I myself would choose less game and live in Mtns but I'm not big deer hunter. Someone mentioned west NC check the harvest reports for deer if that is important to you some counties are just sad no habitat due to lot National forest land that can't be managed

Gooserbat

TN or KY.  Eastern Ok has a low cost of living but low pay unless you have a skill set then Tulsa isn't bad.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: tomstopper on August 11, 2016, 07:27:50 PM
Well after 5 years at my job, I was let go last week. My wife and I have decided that we want to move south. Any suggestions on some good locations (thinking of tenn, NC, VA). She is a nurse and can get hired almost anywheres and I will find work someplace when we move. Thanks for any suggestions

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. That's never pleasant of course but it's good to see that you and your wife are using it as an opportunity to better your lives.

We moved to Upstate South Carolina 2 years ago, to be closer to our son and his family. We'd visited the area many times and liked everything about it. We're a couple of hours from the mountains and just a bit more than that from the beach. The Interstate highway system is good and the population is not overly dense. It is however a very fast-growing area, lots of folks like us and others moving here for jobs and job opportunities, with many manufacturing plants here.

Health care is a major employer, BMW, Michelin, GE, a new Volvo plant and others seem to be expanding. Taxes are low compared to Southern Illinois, gasoline is always near the low end of prices and overall the cost of living is good. New and existing housing is available in many price ranges.

Health care is good, the elementary and secondary school system is good and improving to equip kids for the 21st century. There are many colleges and universities of all kinds available.

People are very friendly. There are still many local folks but also many "transplants" and the best I can see, everyone is accepted. There are many churches of all denominations. Crime, while present if you watch the news, is in no way out of control and law enforcement officers have the respect and support of most people.

South Carolina was not on your list but you may want to consider it. We live in the Greenville/Simpsonville area and I can recommend it, after 2 years here.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Cut N Run

I wanted to warn you that there aren't nearly enough turkeys here in North Carolina, so you might ought to look at moving to Tennessee, Virginia, or South Carolina instead.  ;D 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

silvestris

The only advice I would give one in moving to the South is to become a Southerner.  I have seen people come South with a desire to acclimate, and they did fine and were accepted.  I have seen others who refused to leave their mores behind and in their zeal to change the people in their newly adopted community, were rejected, and never had a clue why.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

turkeyfoot

Quote from: silvestris on August 14, 2016, 04:51:17 PM
The only advice I would give one in moving to the South is to become a Southerner.  I have seen people come South with a desire to acclimate, and they did fine and were accepted.  I have seen others who refused to leave their mores behind and in their zeal to change the people in their newly adopted community, were rejected, and never had a clue why.
Good advise if not you'll have a difficult time finding a spot to hunt unless you want to go to Fla its the north of the south LOL

honker22

I live in North Louisiana... I love it here, but probably wouldn't be my first choice for you and the wife.  I would say TN area would be good.  It depends exactly what you are looking for.  I'm not sure where you are from, but if you haven't been in the south with a humid, muggy, gulf influenced 100 degree afternoon, you are in for a treat!  I would learn how to speak redneck southern slang, and you will fit in just fine.  Sorry to hear about your job, and good luck on your decision.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: honker22 on August 15, 2016, 12:16:59 PM
I live in North Louisiana... I love it here, but probably wouldn't be my first choice for you and the wife.  I would say TN area would be good.  It depends exactly what you are looking for.  I'm not sure where you are from, but if you haven't been in the south with a humid, muggy, gulf influenced 100 degree afternoon, you are in for a treat!  I would learn how to speak redneck southern slang, and you will fit in just fine.  Sorry to hear about your job, and good luck on your decision.
Top that off with the greater number of venomous snakes and spiders, I'll stay right where I am. Lol.

Either way, good luck with your move.

ncwoodsman

I've been in NC for all 48 yrs of my life and wouldn't think of moving. Not too far from the beach or the mountains and good fishing/hunting year round. I'm 30 miles South of Raleigh so plenty of jobs available too.