OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1st Team

Started by hunter22, August 02, 2016, 10:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter22

Continuation of my earlier posts, there are eight different playing surfaces on these calls. My selections for the 3 teams were based on sound even though they also look pretty good in my opinion. My Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen was not shown on any teams because I retired it two years ago. I called in so many gobblers running it that I thought it was an unfair advantage. One spring I called in 15 gobblers to the gun with it. I may get it out again next spring. The Lonzo black acrylic is one of his older calls I got before his acrylics became so popular. It was my secret killer for a couple years. 

Bill Lyman Chestnut slate, Jimmy Schaffer Blue Mahoe crystal
Lon Trice black acrylic bronzed glass, Darrin Dawkins stoned aluminum

Mike Yingling cast cactus copper, Andy Kaiser curly Maple ceramic
John Sinclair mun Ebony brass, John Sinclair Cocobolo titanium

Wvgobbler

Man Rickey, That's a killer first team.

vt35mag

Very nice calls.  Andy's curly maple ceramic is on my 1st team too. 

You mentioned the Hot Hen slate, what wood combination of that call is your go to?
Thinking about giving Lonnie a buzz and picking one or two up for myself.

mgm1955

hunter22

Quote from: vt35mag on August 02, 2016, 02:16:07 PM

You mentioned the Hot Hen slate, what wood combination of that call is your go to?

The Hot Hen that I have used to kill a bunch of gobblers is a two piece poplar/red cedar. It is a smaller version of Lonnie's regular Hot Hen. Mine has a 3-inch playing surface. I am not sure if he still makes this smaller size Hot Hen. I run the call with a spalted Dogwood striker made by Steve Torman aka West Augusta. 

vt35mag

Quote from: hunter22 on August 02, 2016, 02:52:16 PM
Quote from: vt35mag on August 02, 2016, 02:16:07 PM

The Hot Hen that I have used to kill a bunch of gobblers is a two piece poplar/red cedar. It is a smaller version of Lonnie's regular Hot Hen. Mine has a 3-inch playing surface. I am not sure if he still makes this smaller size Hot Hen. I run the call with a spalted Dogwood striker made by Steve Torman aka West Augusta.

Thank you.

REBELYELL

Wow, that's an All-Star team right there. Killer pots Rickey.

hunter22

Quote from: MDTOM84 on August 02, 2016, 09:34:46 PM
Hey Rickey no Platz or Corder?

We all like different sounds in our calls. Those guys make great calls for sure.

packmule

Pretty common theme for the strikers on your first team ;D great posts, thanks for showing.

hunter22

I lucked out and bought several strikers and pot calls from Bill before he became so popular.

Footballer

Solid first team. You like the stoned aluminum in the walnut pot better than the plastic?

hunter22

Quote from: Footballer on August 03, 2016, 11:01:04 AM
Solid first team. You like the stoned aluminum in the walnut pot better than the plastic?

Both outstanding calls. I would hunt either of them.

mwr

Clardh

Great post. Is John sinclairs brass call a must have?

hunter22

Quote from: Clardh on August 03, 2016, 09:01:17 PM
Great post. Is John sinclairs brass call a must have?
I killed two gobblers in 2015 running the Sinclair mun ebony brass call. Tons of rasp.