Main Menu

Pioneer Airbow

Started by SteelerFan, July 13, 2016, 06:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Quote from: lindllc on July 14, 2016, 10:14:37 AM
Quote from: lowoctane on July 14, 2016, 09:17:09 AM
:morning:
Pretty cool. I have a compound and a crossbow, so this would be another toy for me. How much for the privelage to own one, with all the gadgets?  :camohat:

I see Cabelas has the package for $899.99.  Little pricey for me.

Interesting new weapon though.  If its legal to use, okay then.  The choice to use is an individuals own opinion and desire.
Careful throwing the "O" word around. Some struggle with its meaning. Should've probably used the word "choice" instead. There's less scrutiny that way.  :TooFunny:

Gobspur

Quote from: wvmntnhick on July 14, 2016, 02:21:18 PM
Pretty cool. I have a compound and a crossbow, so this would be another toy for me. How much for the privelage to own one, with all the gadgets?  :camohat:

Interesting new weapon though.  If its legal to use, okay then.  The choice to use is an individuals own opinion and desire.
Careful throwing the "O" word around. Some struggle with its meaning. Should've probably used the word "choice" instead. There's less scrutiny that way.  :TooFunny:

Duly noted  ;D.  But wait...I did use the word "choice" at the beginning of the sentence   :toothy12:

wvmntnhick

Quote from: lindllc on July 14, 2016, 02:58:10 PM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on July 14, 2016, 02:21:18 PM

Duly noted  ;D.  But wait...I did use the word "choice" at the beginning of the sentence   :toothy12:
Touché my dear friend, touché.

Marc

Quote from: SteelerFan on July 13, 2016, 09:11:11 PM
I can see where this will have crossbow manufacturers scrambling...
Not as much as you would think...

It is a PCP air system (which is a pre-filled reservoir in the gun)...  It requires having a prefilled tank, or hand-pumping that gun.  Currently most air compressors will not fill either the tanks or the guns, and most people go to a scuba shop to get the tanks filled...

According to a friend who has a pellet rifle from the same manufacturer, it takes about 1 hour to fill an empty tank, and about 20 minutes to refill a tank after normal shooting...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

greentag

looks interesting,i would like to play with one but i doubt i would ever own one,and i hunt with a crossbow all fall long for turkeys.i have did this for at least 13 years now,when i first got it i was very limited in the hunting i could do with it.i really didnt even buy it to hunt back then,just something i could shoot in my yard that was accurate to shoot groups..but after seeing how i really liked i started hunting with it as laws would allow.now days here in ky we have a very lengthy season for it and i can also use it during the shotgun season for turkeys.i always get my limit and love taking it.i have been critisized for using it and for this i say,i can shoot a bow,i can hunt with a bow, people that think it is unfair have never fooled with one and dont know.mine is an old excaliber recurve so its 36 inches wide.i can shoot a bow quicker,shoot a follow up shot quicker with a bow,and hit just as good.you get 1 shot with the crossbow,mine is 225 pounds and a long stroke so you have to use a rope cocker to cock this takes time.i can do almost everything better with a bow but where it shines is fall turkey hunting when its cold.you can sit up a fieldpod and have the crossbow pointing out of the blind.it minimizes movements,but you still have to know the range and everything else you would with a bow,its not a gun like people compare it to you still got to know the range and 50 is the max i would shoot at an animal with it.but for fall turkey hunting i love it.this new airbow will probably catch a bunch of slack,the same way i have over the years.only now are people starting to accept the crossbow more,so it would def take time for them to accept this.

GSLAM95

Received in this mornings email.  I find it rather amusing as the ATA didn't mind taking their $$ for both a shooting area and regular sized booth at the ATA show this past January and now make this statement.  :z-twocents:

WASHINGTON — At the request of its members and representatives of state wildlife agencies, the Archery Trade Association (ATA) Board of Directors has released a position statement concerning airbows. The statement was drafted immediately following the organization's summer board meeting in Washington, DC, July 11-12.

The ATA's full position statement on airbows is below:

POSITION STATEMENT ON AIRBOWS

July 16, 2016

The ATA was asked by its members and representatives of state wildlife agencies for its opinion regarding whether airbows constitute archery equipment. While the ATA certainly recognizes the airbow to be an innovative piece of shooting equipment, the airbow nevertheless lacks basic components of standard archery equipment (e.g., a string system and limbs). For this reason, the ATA does not consider airbows to be archery equipment.

In addition, the airbow (unlike archery equipment) is not subject to federal excise tax, the basic funding mechanism for state wildlife agency activities, which means no portion of the proceeds from airbow purchases contribute to the state wildlife conservation activities supported by Pittman Robertson funds – at least not to the ATA's knowledge. As a consequence, airbows do not appear to be treated as archery equipment by the Internal Revenue Service or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Currently, state wildlife agencies are considering if airbows should be included in hunting seasons and, if so, the seasons in which airbows belong. In general, the ATA leaves the hunting seasons and regulations governing the use of hunting equipment to each state's wildlife agency and its hunters. Yet ATA also strongly supports the long-standing traditions of fair-chase hunting and equal opportunity for all hunters.

About the ATA
The Archery Trade Association (ATA) is the organization for manufacturers, retailers, distributors, sales representatives and others working in the archery and bowhunting industry. The ATA has served its members since 1953. It is dedicated to making the industry profitable by decreasing business overhead, reducing taxes and government regulation, and increasing participation in archery and bowhunting. The organization also owns and operates the ATA Trade Show, the archery and bowhunting industry's largest and longest-running trade show worldwide.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

hotspur

I don't mind one bit , I do understand peoples that are for and against it, if a product can be marketed and sold the states  will allow it . Anything to generate funds and tax dollars. But it is still hunting this ill take mine easier crowd will still ha e to get out of the truck. I know many that have bought x bows and very few have killed with them. Just go further than a half a mile from the truck and all will still be the same.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: hotspur on July 22, 2016, 01:59:36 PM
I don't mind one bit , I do understand peoples that are for and against it, if a product can be marketed and sold the states  will allow it . Anything to generate funds and tax dollars. But it is still hunting this ill take mine easier crowd will still ha e to get out of the truck. I know many that have bought x bows and very few have killed with them. Just go further than a half a mile from the truck and all will still be the same.
X2. I've got a crossbow. Well, 2 actually. I bought one for my father and uncle to use at the camp. They hunted with it some last year. Neither killed a deer with it to my recollection. I've only used mine on windy days where holding a vertical bow steady was going to be a rather difficult job and used it once during the late rifle season. Did manage to kill one with it in the late season but it was by no means a cake walk. I'm not saying that air bows belong in the archery season but it's certainly not going to make a large scale change in the demise of the deer population. Heck, back home, if they want to kill a deer, they're going to grab a rifle anyway. Find a place to make them legal and go with it. Personally, I think they'd fit in just fine during the general firearms and black powder seasons.

Dr Juice

Quote from: wvmntnhick on July 22, 2016, 10:47:47 PM
Quote from: hotspur on July 22, 2016, 01:59:36 PM
X2. I've got a crossbow. Well, 2 actually. I bought one for my father and uncle to use at the camp. They hunted with it some last year. Neither killed a deer with it to my recollection. I've only used mine on windy days where holding a vertical bow steady was going to be a rather difficult job and used it once during the late rifle season. Did manage to kill one with it in the late season but it was by no means a cake walk. I'm not saying that air bows belong in the archery season but it's certainly not going to make a large scale change in the demise of the deer population. Heck, back home, if they want to kill a deer, they're going to grab a rifle anyway. Find a place to make them legal and go with it. Personally, I think they'd fit in just fine during the general firearms and black powder seasons.
Well said. I hear those one shot high powered rifle sighting in shots o'dark thirty when I'm bow hunting in NY. If someone wants a deer that badly, a rifle will be used regardless the time of the year.

All The Way!

Happy

I agree with everything for the most part. Most poachers are gonna use a rifle. However around here we have a few known fellows that the DNR has been chasing that have been shooting deer from their vehicles with crossbows. Not blaming the crossbows cause they are merely the tool of choice. The poachers are the problem. I would feel safe saying if we could seriously curtail poaching then seasons could be a lot more liberal with what they could allow weapons wise. It's a tough battle and the DNR is seriously understaffed and short on funds. Poachers are thieves pure and simple. To selfish and lazy to play the game according to the rules. As far as deer are concerned a two year old is above average and if it breaks 100 inches then it well above average. I shot a small ten point last last year with a bow and dug a .22 bullet out of his neck.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Happy on July 23, 2016, 10:06:00 AM
I agree with everything for the most part. Most poachers are gonna use a rifle. However around here we have a few known fellows that the DNR has been chasing that have been shooting deer from their vehicles with crossbows. Not blaming the crossbows cause they are merely the tool of choice. The poachers are the problem. I would feel safe saying if we could seriously curtail poaching then seasons could be a lot more liberal with what they could allow weapons wise. It's a tough battle and the DNR is seriously understaffed and short on funds. Poachers are thieves pure and simple. To selfish and lazy to play the game according to the rules. As far as deer are concerned a two year old is above average and if it breaks 100 inches then it well above average. I shot a small ten point last last year with a bow and dug a .22 bullet out of his neck.
Huh?! Seems someone failed "Poaching Shot Placement 101." Maybe the light wasn't bright enough to find the eyes.