turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

PA Elk Tag

Started by JK Spurs, July 10, 2016, 03:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JK Spurs

Just applied for an either sex PA Elk tag for the first time. Has anyone else ever applied for these tags and have you been successful?
I like my turkey well peppered

Brian Fahs

Never applied.

A coworker of mine drew a bull tag last year and did not scout a n d only hunted one saturday. He never saw an elk and ate the tag. He thought you could get one every year......What an idiot!

Farmboy27

Nope. Never tried. I think it would pretty cool to say you shot an elk in PA. But the way my luck goes I'm better off saving the application money towards an elk hunt out west! 

lmbhngr

I didn't even know there were elk in PA

Yoder409

Quote from: lmbhngr on July 10, 2016, 08:32:25 PM

About 1000 of them........maybe more. 

Some REALLY BIG bulls !!!     I mean absolute MONSTERS !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Will

Good luck in winning a tag.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Yoder409 on July 10, 2016, 09:38:46 PM
Quote from: lmbhngr on July 10, 2016, 08:32:25 PM

About 1000 of them........maybe more. 

Some REALLY BIG bulls !!!     I mean absolute MONSTERS !!!
There are some really big bulls in PA. They've managed their small herd quite well. Buddy of mine has a coworker that works in PA. He sent me a picture of two dandy bulls standing together on a right of way of some sort. Either would rival anything out west. Rumor has it that WV is to get them. It was to be a package deal when the allowed the whole crossbow thing. Haven't heard much about it yet but if KY and PA both have them, it's just a matter of time anyway.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Brian Fahs on July 10, 2016, 05:52:13 PM
Never applied.

A coworker of mine drew a bull tag last year and did not scout a n d only hunted one saturday. He never saw an elk and ate the tag. He thought you could get one every year......What an idiot!
Oh that hurts my stomach, that's like winning the lotto and putting it all on red or black and losing it all just as fast.

Put in each year if I got drawn my whole season would be scout prepping and hunting for elk I'd forget about deer. Would love to shoot an elk in my home state

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BowBendr

NC has a pretty good herd too. I think that a lottery system for drawing hunting tags are in the near future.
Good luck in the PA draw JKS.

Gods of Thunder
2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Fullfan

Have to play to win, in 2004 I was drawn for a PA bull tag in unit #9. At the time unit 9 was the largest of the units. I spent 5 weeks scouting and had located 11 bulls in that unit that I guessed would score 360-400".

I ended up shooting a 7x7 with 56" main beams, he is 51" wide,  and grossed 407 5/8.
There are some true giant bulls here in Pa no doubt.

Give me a few and I will see if I can find a pic or 2..

Here are some other Pa bulls

This is the guy that drew the only bull tag in unit 9 the year after I did. He called me after reading my hunt story online. We got together and scouted, I showed him around and he invited he along on his hunt.

Don't gobble at me...

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Fullfan

We have not been back to the elk range for several years. But the boss just bought a 40' fifth wheel and we are going the be there mid September.

Don't gobble at me...

JK Spurs

Ok, now you have my attention with all of these pics! I only applied because I was reading the game book that comes with your license and thought...hey, why not apply? I only live about an hour or two from where they roam. I hope I hit that lotto! I see where there are guides you can hire if you draw a tag? Anyone have any experience with that? Or do most guys just scout the game lands and chase them alone? I guess you would need some assistance if you bagged one of these monsters....doesn't look like you could drag one out by yourself...that's for sure!
I like my turkey well peppered

crow

Fullfan---very nice Bull and some great pictures.