turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

nikon monarch 3 or leupold vx3i

Started by jed clampett, July 06, 2016, 10:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jed clampett

Looking at purchasing one of these scopes...the Nikon monarch 3 is 2.5x10 x42 and the leupold is the new vx3i 3.5x10 x40...the leupold is their new model this year....anymore own or have any opinions on these...i wonder which of the two will give better light at dusk and dawn or they might not differ much..thanks for any opinions.

wvmntnhick

Not trying to play devils advocate but you'll be happy with either. I prefer the reticle more in the leupold scopes but find the magnification to be better on Nikon scopes when comparing apples to apples.  Almost seems to me like my leupold scopes don't magnify the same when set to the same power. Either way, I like both and with Nikon adopting the no fault warranty, you can't go wrong with either one. Leupold has had that deal forever. And trust me, they mean it.

870FaceLift

I have Leupolds on every rifle that I own, including muzzleloaders and a .45-70.  They have been ruggedly tough and never shifted zero.  I just topped an x-bolt .300 with a Vx3i and I"ve been extremely happy with the light transmission.  I think that Leupold is a solid company.  I've dealt with them a few times on reticle questions and their service has been excellent.  They even mailed me a windage cap for free one time.

Unfortunately, I can't give you much feedback on the Nikons because I haven't owned any.  I know you didn't ask for other recommendations, but I'd also consider Vortex.  My cousins swear by Vortex and we've been shooting on the weekends together.  I can say that they're just as impressive as the Leupolds.
Pass it on...

jed clampett

I have looked at vortex...hear great things about them...i like the crosshair reticle on the leupold better though...this will be a hard choice....have you looked through the vx 3i at dusk and compared to the vortex?...which model vortex does he have...diamondback..viper?

wvmntnhick

Since vortex has been mentioned I'll chime in again. My experience is limited to one scope but it wouldn't bother me to get another. Bought a used Viper 6.5-20 to put on a precision rifle. It started life on a 7mm STW and currently lives on a 308. On one outing it fogged on the inside. Contacted vortex, told them I'd bought it second hand, told them it didn't come with the sunshade as the previous owner kept it. Shipped it to them and they returned it fixed with a new sunshade. Only thing i paid for was the flip up scope caps because they dint come from factory with them. Other than a gas seal, I've had zero issues. Having said that, i had a gas seal go bad on a leupold vxii as well as a nikon Monarch. Nikon was the only one to give me any resistance negate i hadn't filled out the warranty card but they still made it right. When i replace the scope on the STW, it'll either wear a vortex or leupold.

USMC0331

If you have the opportunity to go to a local sporting good store that has the 2 Scopes you mentioned, it  would be better off if you look through them when they first open in the morning or right before they close  to see which gathers light better to your  eye .  Everybodys vision is different.  Both have good warranties both seem to be reputable companies, it's going to boil down to which one you can see through better. Hope this helps.

Roost 1

870FaceLift

Quote from: jed clampett on July 07, 2016, 09:53:36 AM
I have looked at vortex...hear great things about them...i like the crosshair reticle on the leupold better though...this will be a hard choice....have you looked through the vx 3i at dusk and compared to the vortex?...which model vortex does he have...diamondback..viper?

He has the viper.  Sorry, I haven't compared them both at dusk - have only shot my setup with the vx3i at dusk.  It gathers light very well.
Pass it on...

sbbow

Monarch 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

vortex every time. great scopes, lot better than Nikon and Leupold's are way over price.

Brian Fahs

All my scopes are leupold and some are almost 40 years old. I do own one nikon which I put on my h&r slug gun. The nikon is nice. As for my binos spotter and rangefinder it is leica or swarovski.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Roost 1 on July 07, 2016, 11:09:31 AM
Leupold every time....
X2 ... as long as you got the moolah.

All The Way!

jed clampett

I am actually going to put this on a slug gun...i have the h&r ultra slug..very accurate...i have a  weaver 3x9 on it now and last year it fogged on the inside of the scope...i am also looking at the Remington sps super slug......also as mentioned in a above post...i will go to cabelas or bass pro to look at these scopes..also was going to go in the evening so I can look at them at dusk...most scopes look good in the daylight ..if they won't let me go look through them at dusk..i won't purchase one

Brian Fahs

The nikon buckmasters 3x9 x40 with bdc is awsome on my h&r slug gun 20 gauge. It will let you see very well even before and after legal shooting time. Going to the store and comparing various scopes is your best bet. It's all about buying what you like and can afford.

WNCTracker

I own the vx3i x40 new model. My buddy has the monarch 3 in 42. We both agree  the leupold was slightly better at low light. Optics planet is best deal I found