turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

nikon monarch 3 or leupold vx3i

Started by jed clampett, July 06, 2016, 10:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Put the vortex to the test last night for sure. My buddy and i were shooting deer on crop damage permits. Deer came out well after legal shooting light. CD permits allow hunting until 11 pm. Touched it off and at 200 yards, still put the bullet where i wanted it. Love that setup.

Gooserbat

Leopold gets my vote.  The vortex is nice as well. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

leupold , hands down. Thought my new vx3 was a lot better than a friends monarch, he did too. it is still a very good scope though. With Nikon i wouldn't go down in the line though.

vortex , the diamondback anyhow 4-12 is not as clear in the woods as 15-20 year old vari-xii 3-9
and the 4-12 does not have any more magnification than a 3-9 vari-xii or the new leupold vx-2 or for that mater a bushnell 3500 3x9. low end power is close but upper magnification is not.
Sure looked good in the store though and was very clear in daylight.

jed clampett

Some good info...i have been leaning towards the leupold ...just got to go look at one!

owlhoot

check out the cdi feature too. pretty neat.
They were doing pretty good rebates also. I got 100 bucks back on my vx3 early this year.

REBELYELL

Quote from: jed clampett on July 07, 2016, 06:21:36 PM
I am actually going to put this on a slug gun...i have the h&r ultra slug..very accurate...i have a  weaver 3x9 on it now and last year it fogged on the inside of the scope...i am also looking at the Remington sps super slug......also as mentioned in a above post...i will go to cabelas or bass pro to look at these scopes..also was going to go in the evening so I can look at them at dusk...most scopes look good in the daylight ..if they won't let me go look through them at dusk..i won't purchase one

If I were getting a scope for a slug gun and it's limitations on range, I would get a Leupold VX3 in a 6x42 with a HD reticle. This scope is great for low light. For a rifle, I like the VX3 or the new version in a 3.5-10x40.

wvmntnhick

Going to give vortex one final plug. Pulled the trigger on another tonight. With the naked eye all you could see was a dark spot. With the scope however, you could see that it was in fact another doe. I love the clarity and light gathering capabilities of this thing. It runs right with my buddy's leupold mark iv.

Dr Juice

Leupold is amazing product for sure.

All The Way!

mtns2hunt

Gotta chime in on this. Had a Nikon fog up on a bear hunt in Canada. Sent it in on warranty and they fixed it with no issues. Had two Leopold's where the add on eye protector's locked up. Leopold fixed them and added new eye protectors no questions asked.

Used Nikon's for several years and still have several on my lessor used rifles. I bought a Leopold and it just felt better and more sturdy, I now have five Leopold's. Also have a couple high dollar European scopes. They are very nice but some thing about the Leopold keeps me going back to them. The Leopold is like a comfortable tool it just feels right. Put one on your rifle and throw it up and everything comes together as it should.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.