turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

$20 ????

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 04, 2011, 09:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

A kid at school came up to me and asked what he should by for turkey hunting with the $20 he has at home.  He got a Primos slate call from the Learn to Hunt weekend.  I told him to add a few more bucks and get a box call.  After thinking about it, I am going to tell him a face mask and gloves.  What else can I mention to him?

Trevor2

Possibly a crow or hoot owl call. Should be pretty cheap at walmart
Strutstopper

TauntoHawk

Face mask, gloves, crow call, and some bug repelant... My first time all I had was an aluminum hammer pot call
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sugarray

Walmart does have an HS strut pack for $20--25.  I thought it had a mask and gloves, but it only has a glass call, owl call, crow, and 2 reed no cut mouth call.

TRKYHTR

How old is this kid?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

turkey slayer

Quote from: sugarray on April 04, 2011, 09:45:51 PM
Walmart does have an HS strut pack for $20--25.  I thought it had a mask and gloves, but it only has a glass call, owl call, crow, and 2 reed no cut mouth call.
sounds like a good starter kit!

harvester

A dvd that shows him how to call and what it should sound like. Then a headnet and gloves. If you don't know how to call, then all that other stuff is useless. Just my opinion.

wisconsinteacher

He is 14 or 15 and in the 8th grade.  Thanks for the help.

Basser69

Get an addy from him 'cause I am sure that there are some guys that will be willing to send him some "stuff" for free....Including me. Just a little more of the "pay it forward" to help a kid out that is wanting to get into the game.

runngun

Maybe we could send stuff to wisconsinteacher and he could present it to him. I AM IN. This would be so cool.

Good Luck and God Bless
              Ray
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

bowhunter84

Quote from: Basser69 on April 05, 2011, 09:59:26 AM
Get an addy from him 'cause I am sure that there are some guys that will be willing to send him some "stuff" for free....Including me. Just a little more of the "pay it forward" to help a kid out that is wanting to get into the game.
:agreed:

basser beat me to it. as i was reading i was going to suggest this. i'm sure we all have a few extra things laying around.....

trkehunr93

The wal-marts around here have a starter pack that includes face mask, gloves and the gun rest that attaches to your leg.  not sure of the price though. 

sugarray

Quote from: trkehunr93 on April 05, 2011, 11:04:37 AM
The wal-marts around here have a starter pack that includes face mask, gloves and the gun rest that attaches to your leg.  not sure of the price though. 

I thought I saw that as well, but couldn't find it on the Wal-Mart web site.

archery1

Quote from: bowhunter84 on April 05, 2011, 10:34:53 AM
Quote from: Basser69 on April 05, 2011, 09:59:26 AM
:agreed:

basser beat me to it. as i was reading i was going to suggest this. i'm sure we all have a few extra things laying around.....
Take a kid hunting

wisconsinteacher

Thanks for the response.  I have had some PMs about helping the kid out.  He is a great kid and will enjoy the outdoors the rest of his life.  He is the president of our conservation club.  We have a group of 8-10 kids that are all about turkey hunting here at school.  A few of them have mouth calls in during class and get in a little trouble.  I get flack from other teachers because of it.  I just smile and walk away or tell the kid to try this or that with the call.