Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rookie wondering what chair or vest to buy?

Started by Life of Riley, May 18, 2016, 06:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

I am just getting into the sport and have been looking at turkey vests. I own a blind but now that the undergrowth is thick I think I'll mostly leave it at home. I was checking out the vests at cabelas and don't get why some have a metal frame. Any advice or good websites to check out is much appreciated.

davisd9

Most would say gobbler lounger for chair from cabelas

Vest is a Chevy vs ford argument, all preference.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

eddie234

Now is the time to be looking, after season sales. I have a tactical tat r from cabelas and like it real well. It's on sale. The metal frame is to use if there are no trees. If your using a chair there prob is no need for a vest. Just use a pack.

Bowguy

Never knew a single person who left rods in vest. Save your money n don't get them

reynolds243

Tactical tat r with kickstand. You will love the frame set up

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

ilbucksndux

I have never hunted out of a chair before ,but I hunted with a guy that had one and it looked pretty slick.I was gonna go with the Cabelas one but saw a cheap one on sale at Walmart and got it. I wanna give it a try.
Gary Bartlow

Happy hooker

Great topic,,,I would also like to know what chairs have the extra wide version,,some come standard and also offer the wider model for a little more comfort.

eddie234

I don't have one but I've seen several post about the alps "large" chair that seem to be very well liked. I've got a cheapy from Walmart. Never used it but bought it just in case.?

Frylock

I know you're all probably gonna say I'm off my rocker for getting this chair but my god it's comfortable, really light too.  Spray paint the legs and it's good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frylock

I should add, I no longer wear a vest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerFan

This is my first season using "the chair"... and I'm 110% sure I won't go without one from now on. It is a bit bulky to carry compared to just a cushion, but this one has a nice strap that's long enough to sling it over your head / shoulder and wear it on your non-gun side. Whatever extra hassle comes with toting and setting up the chair (compared to flopping down on a cushion) is quickly forgiven & forgotten when you sit in it.

I have packed this chair for several miles in a morning. I have been able to GREATLY extend my "sit in comfort" time to several HOURS now. My back and bottom end are still thanking me...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007PIRAYE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1463650228&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=browning+camping+chair&dpPl=1&dpID=51cFViR7yCL&ref=plSrch

EZ

Best advice I can give someone just getting started is keep light, practical and mobile. Learn how to "hunt" turkeys in any given situation.

stinkpickle

The gobbler lounger seats (and variants) are great when it comes to comfort, but their weight is noticeable if you pack one around all day.

TRG3

I will take more portable decoys before I'll not take my chair. I can sit for hours in my ground lounger, even catch up on a few zzzzs. By-the-way, take a large black plastic bag to put under your chair or there's a good chance your butt will be damp in short order. The plastic bag is also great for keeping your fanny pack, calls, etc. off the ground.

fallhnt

Check walmart. $15 for the gobbler lounger style
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy