OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Traditions Found In An old Ramshackle Blinds

Started by muddydawg, April 04, 2011, 11:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddydawg

Alarm sounded off at just passed 4. With an hour to drive I was up and out the door in 15min and on the road. Heading to our family land in SW Georgia I was excited. Working in an office all week behind a key board, I always look forward to getting out in the woods and cleansing the soul. Arrived well before daylight and parked at the main gate and put my feet to the ground. My grandfather Pop, called a week before, and asked if I had been chasing them gobblers yet and I told him about my hunt a couple of weeks ago and the bird I killed. Red (his nickname for me since I was a boy) I could hear the excitement in his voice as he told me I wish I could have been there! He went on to tell me the stories of yesterday when he and his dad (my great grandfather Pa) traveled to the woods every spring in search of those strutting Toms.  He can't make it to the woods anymore but I felt like he was walking along beside me on this morning and guided me to an old ramshackle blind my great grandfather built on a curve of the main road which sits adjacent to a huge bottom filled with pines and mixed hardwoods. Once I reached the blind made out of old round post with a make shift tin roof I set up a hen and a jake decoy and waited for the first sign of daylight on the horizon. As the sun rose behind me the woods came to life, birds chirping, owls hooting, and crows cawing. A few soft tree yelps and the oak bottom exploded with three gobbles within a hundred yards. Gave me the chills and got my heart wanting to jump out of my chest. I decided to cackle and try the hat trick Pop taught me  to imitate a fly down. Again TAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOWWWW X3. I went quite and could hear them heading for the ground and knew they were heading my way. Across the rail fence I could see them coming up the ridge out of the bottom with a brute of a strutter in front gobbling, trying to get the hen(me) to answer back. I always wondered about the section of fence missing in front of the blind but now I know why Pop and Pa left it out. It helped to funnel them right in. I took aim at the strutter and layed him down at 10 yards. Again I felt chills as I admired the bird and looked back at the old blind that had been built 40+ years ago by a couple of turkey hunting fanatics who have passed on the obsession to a 4th generation.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mossy517

Thats what its all about!
Just like Tracy Byrd sings, "pass it on"
HuntingPA... Lacaster, York, Perry and Centre counties

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Basser69

OLE RASPY

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

trkehunr93

turkey slayer

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

LX_Trkyhntr

Congrats on the great hunt!  Thanks for sharing your family tradition with us!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

redarrow

My wife and I like to record our kills on the wall s of our deer blinds.Hopefully some future generation will enjoy the reading.

harvester

Congrats on the bird but really like the story. Nothin brings back memories like being out in familiar woods.

BOFF

Great read!!

Thanks for taking us along!!

Congrats!!!

God Bless,
David B.