turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bearded hen

Started by gutterdoc, May 11, 2016, 07:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gutterdoc

OK.  Hunting this spring has been tough.  New work on the power lines, houses going in, construction trucks etc.  I've had one hell of a time finding birds.  Finally found the boys and then the weather turned nasty for 10 days.  Now that it is starting to warm back up, all I can find is a bunch of hens.  BONUS.  Two of them are bearded.  Now the question.  Do I take one or wait out for the gobbler.  I can fill two tags and can harvest any bearded bird.  My only reservation is that she is probably nesting already.  I have her pattern down like clockwork.  This is what leads me to think she is nesting.  Please weigh in.

SteelerFan

How hungry are you?

I won't judge anyone for killing a legal bird, so it's all on YOU as to what defines your success / and or trophy in your mind.

Me personally... I'd wait for the gobbler or go home with nothing. But that's just me.

Planner

Would you normally shoot a hen? I'm not sure it having a beard would change my mind on that one, but if it's legal and makes you happy go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I put it in the same category as shooting jakes. I prefer not to 99.9% of the time.  However if it's legal and your happy with it then more power to you.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BABS9

Just remember you kill that hen your aren't just killing that one bird. Shooting her ain't gonna make your tough hunting any better either. Might lead to some more tough springs.. Could be a couple gobblers in that hatch.

Greg Massey

Quote from: SteelerFan on May 11, 2016, 07:22:36 PM
How hungry are you?

I won't judge anyone for killing a legal bird, so it's all on YOU as to what defines your success / and or trophy in your mind.

Me personally... I'd wait for the gobbler or go home with nothing. But that's just me.
X2     That's why i never fall hunt..but i don't judge people for hunting how they need to take game legal.

Greg Massey

Quote from: BABS9 on May 11, 2016, 07:37:59 PM
Just remember you kill that hen your aren't just killing that one bird. Shooting her ain't gonna make your tough hunting any better either. Might lead to some more tough springs.. Could be a couple gobblers in that hatch.
X2

fallsflight

Give her a pass.  Like you said, probably on a nest.  No sense killing her and numerous chicks she might have. 

Sent from my 1970s rotary phone

gutterdoc

This is why I asked the masses.  Thanks guys.  I'm not starving, next year will be better.  Just because it is legal doesn't make it ethical. 

Now if she were albino and had a beard, I'd shoot her. ;D

renegade19

In the fall, yes.  In the spring, no.  Just what I'd do.  Legal bird, it's up to you.

Farmboy27

Like you said yourself, she's probably nesting. But she's also a legal bird. I have had plenty of chance to shoot bearded hens in the spring and have always passed. But I have killed several in the fall. So I'm not going to judge anyone who shoots one. Just something about shooting one that may be nesting at the time seems different than shoot one 6 months later.

TRG3

While it's legal in Illinois to shoot a bearded hen, I passed up one earlier because (1) to me it would be like shooting the seed that might produce a crop of gobblers and hens for next spring and beyond that would carry on the species in my hunting area and (2) a hen wouldn't produce that much meat. In addition, I pass on jakes since when I do I'm assuring that there will be two-year olds next spring.

Farmboy27

Ask yourself if you would kill a bearded hen on the first day of season. The difference between someone who likes to hunt and someone who likes to kill is simple. Someone who likes to hunt won't kill an animal on the last day that he wouldn't have killed on the first day. Someone who likes to kill says things like "I normally wouldn't but..."  Anything that's legal and safe is fine by me, but if you feel that you have to ask others if it's ok then maybe you have doubts whether it's ok with you. And before you kill something you better make darn sure you're ok with doing it.

spaightlabs

I have a bunch of turkey meat I will send you. ;)

I have passed on many many bearded ladies in the past.  Just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a hen, that's the turkey factory man, I want the factory running at max output.

Happy

Spot on farmboy. Here's my thoughts a little clearer. I have never killed a hen and don't intend to. I have had two chances at bearded hens and passed. Wasn't even tempted. However if a guy hunts his tail end off and the turkey population is good then it's his choice if legal. Now if you wouldn't shoot her on the first day then maybe you should hold off. I know several guys in West Virginia that resort to rifles if they don't kill one in the first couple weeks. That tells me exactly what matters to them the most.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club