OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Is it easier to kill turkeys solo? Am I hindering my growth as a turkey hunter?

Started by Sevenyearsandcounting, May 03, 2016, 05:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

Ok 7, that's a LITTLE clearer. So, Lord knows there are books written on hunting turkeys, and by wiser men than me - but I'll offer up my 2 cents of advice...

You've scouted, and know there are turkeys there. That's step 1. Will they gobble on the roost? Will they answer calls? That changes daily... so let's just go with a "typical" scenario.

You go to your area pre-dawn and listen. A bird starts gobbling on the roost (either on his own, or with a little encouragement from an owl hoot). Try to pinpoint his location as best you can, and head that way. Try to set up reasonably close - but remember that last step may be one too many. As a "general" rule, I like to be at least within 150 yds (depending on foliage). You might be able to sneak even closer, like 1/2 that distance 75-80 yds?

If I'm gonna put out a decoy, I'll set it 25-30 yds out and slightly off to the side - so if the bird approaches from his known location, he won't be looking at me sitting behind the decoys (movement). If I'm "guiding" I'll sit right beside the gunner on his / her off side (right, for right handed). I'll have the gunner sit with almost a 45 degree towards the bird - so they can smoothly adjust the barrel.

Ideally, if you can use terrain to your advantage - set up on a bench or rise, 35-40 yards from the edge. Make a bird come look for you, and when you see him, he should be in range.

Sometimes I set up 20, 30, 40 yds BEHIND the gunner, if I think pulling a bird all the way in is going to be a problem (open woods, etc). That way, when the bird hangs 70 yards from ME, he's already in range of the gunner.

Again, this is just a tiny bit of info, but generally how I start each hunt. Good luck! You've got us all sucked in now to the saga of the "World's Unluckiest Turkey Hunter"... so keep us posted.

Oh, and if that doesn't work, try fanning...

Bill Cooksey

If you whine this much to your dad, the man is a saint for continuing to carry you turkey hunting. Thirty years old? Good grief. Get a grip; change your attitude, and start hunting alone. Or, take up golf.

I guess that's pretty harsh, but it's past time to make a serious change in the way you approach this. Or, you might just be trolling.

nitro

Totally agree, My upcoming book about turkey killin is going to be titled -

"It ain't for everyone"  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on May 09, 2016, 09:46:29 AM
If you whine this much to your dad, the man is a saint for continuing to carry you turkey hunting. Thirty years old? Good grief. Get a grip; change your attitude, and start hunting alone. Or, take up golf.

I guess that's pretty harsh, but it's past time to make a serious change in the way you approach this. Or, you might just be trolling.
Royal Slam 2008

SteelerFan

Quote from: nitro on May 09, 2016, 10:16:43 AM
Totally agree, My upcoming book about turkey killin is going to be titled -

"It ain't for everyone"  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

coyote1

I didn't read every response but it sounds like you should change tactics. Hunt alone at least some of the time for crying out loud. When hunting with your dad change it up a little, if calling sparingly isn't working get more aggressive. Don't get stuck in a rut.

I wish my dad would hunt with me but he has no interest. It sounds like you are about my age and our parents aren't getting any younger, cherish the time spent with him. I only started turkey hunting 6 years ago with no mentor at all, everything I learned was either self taught or from the folks on this forum. I'm not trying to be rude but I have killed 5 gobblers in these 6 years, it can be done.

Sevenyearsandcounting

Im good with my dad were always going to be hunting buddies. I cherish everything he's taught me and I think a lot of it was me feeling like I let him down because he's taught me so much and took all this time to show me the ropes  (even though I've had a 7 year break I didn't even realize time flies) and I can't put a single bird down.

But i am a hunter. I have become more proficient and above average as a duck and goose hunter and even a easier sport like that took along time to be good enough where skunked wasn't a word in my vocabulary more than once or twice a season.

I'll get the turkey hunting down too. It's just a matter of me sticking to it and god damn am I stubborn so giving up is not an option.

For all the dads on here, I'm one myself, I am not regretting the time with my dad. Not at all. It's more frustration in myself. No more whining from here on out.

I have 1,000 new swampy oak bottoms to explore tomorrow.

Sevenyearsandcounting

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on May 09, 2016, 09:46:29 AM

He is a saint. I don't whine to him ever. And that was the problem I opened up to him this weekend and he was all for it. He doesn't need this stress I can handle it I am an adult as you said.

Waking up at 4 am everyday leads to me being an idiot sometimes. I'm not trolling either i did have to take a break from years 20-28 and hunted very little in years 18-19. I forgot how time flies and I put way too much pressure on myself. That's over. Time to learn more and keep at it.

Sitting under a 25 foot oak watching the roost area of the new land. Just watched 4 hens enter the oaks and a tom was not too long after. Haha. And Seven jakes. Man if I don't get a bird in these woods? Time to rethink my hobbies but until then I'm excited and my dads going to be on the far side hunting the ridge and I'll be handling the very active oak bottoms.

No more whining. Only turkeys. Time to fill some tags.

Bill Cooksey

Maybe this will help your confidence; turkeys, on average, are no harder to kill than ducks. Now, go kill one.

owlhoot

Quote from: Bill Cooksey on May 10, 2016, 07:14:11 AM
Maybe this will help your confidence; turkeys, on average, are no harder to kill than ducks. Now, go kill one.
There you go, get after it!

Sevenyearsandcounting

Boom! 24 lb! 10 inch beard! Dead as a door nail 60 yards. 5 in the head and neck! Oh yea! About an inch Spurs on this bad boy.

Sevenyearsandcounting

How do I post a photo? It's saying its too large but how can I compress it on an iPhone?

Hookinembig

Congrats you finally got one. Great job and way to hang in there!

Sevenyearsandcounting

Thanks hook! I may have whined a bit but I never ever give up! Man this is a great feeling!

Sevenyearsandcounting

Official measurements! 23lbs. Had to calibrate the scale as 24 seemed a bit high. 23 still take it!

1 inch Spurs. 9 inch beard that is so dense and thick!

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club