OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Let's play a new game

Started by Spitten and drummen, April 27, 2016, 09:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

I was all excited, Bubba said the evening before he saw several big black birds at the end of the field in a big hickory tree. As it was getting light i started looking thru my new WalMart spotting scope. I just could make the birds out, you guess it they started leaving the tree and circling over head it was a dam buzzard roost. I started smelling something and i look at Bubba he said WHAT i said when was the last time you took a bath. He said it's turkey season not time for a bath.

101st501

So I shrugged and nodded in agreement.

Spitten and drummen

Just then I heard a faint shrill gobble. We grab our gear and Wade through the Briar patch. He is gobbling at every breath. We get to the back of the property and out of sight over a small Ridge the shrill gobbling continues. Me and bubba are covered in briars.i whisper let's low crawl up to the little rise and ambush the shrill voice Gobbler. We crawl ever so slow and blood from the scratches mixed with sweat is really burning. We eventually get to where we can peep over the ridge and you have to be kidding me. We are at the back of section 8 housing and there is a kid banging on a piece of tin with a ball bat. Dang sure sounds like a high pitched gobble.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

101st501

So we borrowed the kids bat and piece of metal and ask him if he has seen any turkeys.  We figured we could use the bat and metal as a new trick to throw at them birds.

SteelerFan

Turns out the kid was beating on a trashcan lid to scare away the rats, and after "borrowing" it, Bubba scuffs that trashcan lid across the pavement and "conditions" the end of the ball bat in the sand; and when he drug the tip of that bat across the scuffed up lid...

wvmntnhick

It produced a Yelp so sweet that professional call makers are still trying to replicate it.

Greg Massey

The music from the trash can call was sounding so sweet it had me dancing like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Bubba said my new call is Trash Nasty its number 1 of 1

wvmntnhick

As we headed back to the woods, bubba made me swear on my life that I'd drop the whole "freak nasty" monicker forever as it was being over used by all the mass produced products already and I reluctantly agreed.

Greg Massey

As we were headed over the ridge, we put a call into our friend Jim Dandy. Jim told us custom calls were a lot better than mass produced calls. Jim told us his best call is Jim Dandy to the rescue. Jim said he got his call from Black Oak Arkansas . This tree only grows in Arkansas.

Spitten and drummen

I quickly ran next door to Walmart and picked up several different wooden bats to use as different strikers. I even picked up a aluminum bat for a rainy day striker. Bubba sat on the ground Indian style and laid the lid across the top of his knees and formed a awsome sound chamber. I picked up a dymond wood bat and commenced to making j hooks on the lid. Had a nice roll over with back end rasp you wouldn't believe.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wvmntnhick

Wasn't long until we struck a gobbler.

Greg Massey

It's the second inning and we are at bat....that sounded like more than one gobbler...

Izzyjoe

By this time bubba is scratchin' his head,and says man it's time for a drank! So he wanders over to the 7-11 for a six pack of High Life, and a slim Jim.

Greg Massey

Bubba and me were enjoying cold ones on the tailgate of his super duty S10 with overdrive if you kick it out of gear and just thinking how the day had been full of adventure. This old framer with a big beer belly pulled up and said boys you had and luck turkey hunting? We told the farmer how we had seen big black birds on a roost this morning and about the housing project and our trash can call. The old farmer said you need to come hunt on my 1000 ac. farm. We have one big turkey name John Deere you can hunt in the morning, he has a super charge of a gobble so after directions and a old map of the place we headed out for a night of rest and another morning running and gunning on John Deere.

captpete

On the way home Bubba say he's still thirsty, so we stop and pick a 12 pack this time.