OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nebraska..One single, one triple.

Started by cornfedkiller, April 26, 2016, 11:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornfedkiller

Long story, but I'll try to cut to the chase. 

Got there Thursday evening before shotgun season opened like we usually do.  I scouted a property I know the birds like to roost on and found a big flock of birds there feeding out in the field. 2 nice toms with a bunch of hens.  One tom looked like he thought he was the king, so I figured he would flip when I put a strutter decoy out the next morning. 

Set up there the next morning, and they came out of the timber a different place than expected and completely avoided me.  Set up in a different spot that afternoon and switched to the jake decoy, and they again completely avoided me.  Saturday morning, set up with the jake and some hens, the two toms came out of the timber with the group of hens. Hens came out and hung out in my decoys for a bit, and the two toms completely avoided my setup by making a 150 yard loop around me and meeting back up with the hens when they got past me. 

I watched the two toms get their butts whooped by a group of 3 jakes, as well as get chased across an alfalfa field by them later in the day (anyone ever seen toms get beat up by jakes before?).  Decided to just take the shotgun and run a hen decoy in the afternoon.  They came back to the field in the evening and everything came in as planned.  I was sitting in a downed tree on the edge of the field and had birds all around me.  Close enough that it was hard to get the shotgun swung around and maneuvered for the shot.  Couldnt decide which of the 4 or 5 toms was the biggest or best, so I just picked the one with the whitest tips on his tail and hammered him.  Not nearly as satisfying as killing one with the bow, but a very fun hunt nonetheless!

My little brother has only hunted turkeys a couple times, and has really only learned what he knows from sitting with me and picking up off of what I do.  We had a farmer tell us that he sees 3 nice toms out in one of his fields almost every morning.  I told my little brother to go there in the morning, set his decoys out in the field 15 yards from him and sit on the edge of the field.  He text me at 7am and told me the three toms came out with a group of hens, the hens came over and started beating up his hen decoy, and the toms came over and started beating up his jake.  He shot and killed 2 birds with his first shot, cocked the gun and hammered the third one.

I know there are guys here that are personally against doubling (and obviously tripling then as well), but for a kid thats only killed 1 turkey before in his life and won't get to take the trip with us for the next couple years because of college, this was the hunt of a lifetime for him, and I couldn't be happier for him!

hobbes

Nice looking birds.   :icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright: Congrats to you and your brother.

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

wvmntnhick

That's certainly getting it done. Congrats to the both of you.

tomstopper

Congrats to you both on some nice looking birds. As long as your state allows you to take more than one bird in a day, I say go for it (it would have saved me alot of vacation time if we were allowed to do it here in NY & PA).

Mike Honcho

cramerhunts

Way to go! Some nice looking birds, congratulations to you both.

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Hooksfan

First of all, congrats on a great hunt.  No complaints here on doubling or tripling.  That kid will remember that forever.  I understand preferring to archery hunt, but I sure wouldn't let killing one with a shotgun be considered anything of a let down.  I have done it both ways, but I sure do love the flexibility I have turkey hunting with a shotgun and I like the way they flop when you choot em in the face.

cornfedkiller

Quote from: Hooksfan on April 27, 2016, 10:16:56 AM
First of all, congrats on a great hunt.  No complaints here on doubling or tripling.  That kid will remember that forever.  I understand preferring to archery hunt, but I sure wouldn't let killing one with a shotgun be considered anything of a let down.  I have done it both ways, but I sure do love the flexibility I have turkey hunting with a shotgun and I like the way they flop when you choot em in the face.

Thanks.  It was actually quite relieving to not have to lug my blind, chairs, decoys, bow, etc, etc out with me and just wearing a leafy suit, a hen decoy, shotgun, and a mouth call.

deadbuck

I can only think of one outcome better than what he had..... 3 in one shot!!!!!!

Bill Cooksey

Sounds like a great trip. Even though we can only take one-per-day here, I don't have anything against it where it's legal. Only times I've been against two hunters killing two birds on one setup is when I'm hunting well-controlled private property and have a lot of days available to hunt. Assuming you've killed several turkeys, the second on a "double" is anticlimactic. I'd rather get two hunts out of two birds. Nothing ethical or right/wrong about it either way. Never even thought about it before hunting a place where the landowner prohibited it for that very reason. More I thought about it, the more sense it made in that circumstance.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dr Juice