OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which decoys do you all like

Started by luked, April 22, 2016, 08:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Quote from: Bowhuntr73 on April 23, 2016, 04:06:34 PM
Trust me, it isnt the decoys. I have Avian x and Steelerfan will attest that I had to replace the hens from leaks. Not from misuse either. I believe you get what you pay for- just not with this brand. Tried contacting them to no avail. They look great just get use to the turkeys looking like raisins on sticks out there!! ????
That's some funny stuff right there, lol
I have used a primo's b mobile and a old feather flex hen with good results in the past. Pretty much don't use decoys anymore. Too much stuff to tote around I guess.

Life of Riley

Are the Montana purrfect supposed to be Merriam or eastern turkeys?

EZ

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 23, 2016, 12:53:51 PM
Quote from: stinkpickle on April 22, 2016, 10:12:11 PM
Just get the one that's on sale.
This! You can kill birds just as effectively with a cheap 30 dollar foam as you can with a 100 dollar one. I know guys who still use their old feather flex decoys and hammer birds same as the first day they bought it.

My only regret is that I wasn't the one who figured out how to get guys to spend $80-$100+ on a single decoy. It's kind of a blessing though. While they're sitting in a blind with their decoy "spread", I go kill the turkey. :icon_thumright:

Bowguy

My opinion on the cheap decoy thing is I guess it may depend on where you hunt. I'm not a giant decoy user but use them w kids or roost set ups.
In the past with different cheap decoys I had ok sucess. In time more guys use them n the birds either ignored em or flat out blew up when they saw improperly painted drab decoys the just don't look real.
I mean if they're eyes are so great why would we discount that?
Since I switched to DSDs not one bird has spooked n any that saw decoys came in. It's almost unfair the advantage.

jims

I got a pair of miss perfect decoys the other day and tried them on my last 2 outings.   I've always liked the Avians.  The miss perfect are super light and hardly take up any room in my pack.  If given the choice for running and gunning there is no comparison.  In fact, if someone offered me free DVD's or Avians I would rather carry miss perfect any day of the week for running and gunning.  They may not be "perfect" as the name implies but they are a joy to carry and set up quickly in the field!  DSD's may be super realistic but if you hike many miles in rough country like I do you are likely better off with Miss Perfect....also at a fraction of the price!

rblake

DSD is my go to when I plan on using a decoy. I do keep a miss perfect in my vest for those situations when I leave the DSD behind.
Mountaineer by birth and choice. Grand Slam 2013

wvmntnhick

Bought two of the Montana miss purrfect decoys. Sold my avian x. Loved it too but the weight got to be a pain in the butt. The Montana decoys I barely notice are there. The papa strut looks kind of crappy but I bet it'll still fool a gobbler. We make a big deal about the type of decoy we use. That really doesn't matter in my opinion.

It's easy to blame the arrow but the Indian is often at fault.

Marc

Any decoy that resembles a turkey will work sometimes.  My feeling on decoys, is I want the most realistic best ones I can afford for my situations...  I want a decoy that is most likely to create a positive response, and least likely to create caution or trepidation.  I do feel that pressured birds and cheap foam decoys might work against you in some situations.

I currently have a DSD leading hen, and an Avian X jake.

No doubt but that DSD makes the most realist and durable decoys (with Deception running a close second).  Something about that DSD jake really incites a reaction in some birds as well.

I went with the Avian X, cause the DSD was considerably more bulky and a bit more heavy than the Avian X...  Also the Avian has great motion in a light breeze (which for the most part the DSD does not).

I have no idea how good the Deception jake looks in person, but the hen looks good, and would probably take a few pellets.

I will say I had a leak in my Avian jake, but they replaced it with a new stake and bag to boot, no questions asked...  And they sent me the replacement decoy with a free shipping invoice for my defective decoy before I sent in the defective one....  I was quite pleased with the customer service.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

fallsflight

DSD.  I have never had as much positive reaction to a decoy than with the DSD.  Had hens kick the crap out of it, jakes try to have their way with it,  jumping on top of it and Toms fall flat out in love with it.  My friend bought the Avian, as it was cheaper and we had both decoys out at the same time when he first got it.  All the turkeys went right to the DSD and ignored the Avian. 

Sent from my 1970s rotary phone