OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Close... But no cigar

Started by wvmntnhick, April 21, 2016, 06:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Almost got it done this morning. Heard between 5-7 on the roost this morning. Went right back to where my niece missed twice on youth day. Birds gobbled in the bottom so I moved down closer to the gas line clearing in hopes of pulling one to me. Only after the move did the two closer birds start gobbling. Had to see me but still answered the calls. Thought it was going to play out like last time but there were tons  of hens this time. Birds came off the roost and went down the hill with the hens. Could see him 45 yards away on the roost. Going to try again tomorrow. Hoping it'll be a different tune then.

Ended up hearing two more later in the day. One jake and another gobbler. Walked my tail off and have the diaper rash to prove it. Probably covered about 7 miles round trip this morning. Got to see some great ground, watched 2 stutters chase hens in a green field across the river on th Maryland side, heard several grouse drumming and saw a pretty good black bear. Found several piles of bear scat and numerous tracks as well. The one thing I didn't see was a single deer. Kind of stinks as this is a place that used to be covered up with them. Of course, I did manage to see about 50 piles of coyote scat, and much of it was fresh. Makes sense I guess.

SteelerFan

At least with a morning like that, it's a little easier to keep getting up at "oh my goodness, it's early - thirty" in the morning!! Good luck with Round 2!!

Snood Life

Greg Massey

Good luck in the morning..still seeing and hearing them get's you excited ...

101st501

I had two longbeards and two jakes walk within 20 yards of me this morning.  I couldn't get repositioned for a shot.  But in the morning, they better not try it again.  Good luck to you.

mgm1955

chatterbox

Keep at it, man! Sounds like you have a great spot!

Dr Juice

Smoke 'em if you got 'em Wvmtnhick. Just my $.02: I prefer not to see deer when hunting turkeys because they have betrayed me in the past by giving up my location to the ever so close to dying thunder chicken. Anyway, the great news is that your hearing a multitude of birds and it is just a matter of time that you will strike gold. Standing by for your next report. Good luck brother.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: mlisandro on April 22, 2016, 05:18:27 AM
Smoke 'em if you got 'em Wvmtnhick. Just my $.02: I prefer not to see deer when hunting turkeys because they have betrayed me in the past by giving up my location to the ever so close to dying thunder chicken. Anyway, the great news is that your hearing a multitude of birds and it is just a matter of time that you will strike gold. Standing by for your next report. Good luck brother.

Well, hunting up home was a bust all together. Had a great time at the camp with Happy but neither of us were able to seal the deal at this point. In fact, after he hadn't heard a bird all day on Thursday, I'd almost had the same experience. The birds were far enough out the hill that with the light sprinkling going on, I couldn't hear the birds at all. Was getting ready to make a play but texted my hunting partner to let him know what was up when he announced that he was covered up. Unfortunately, by the time I'd gotten around the hill, they'd already pitched off the roost and he said they looked as if they were going to land somewhere between Maryland and Pennsylvania. Needless to say, we didn't connect that day either. But, we still had today, or so I thought. Woke up at 4:00 am only to hear it raining so hard that it almost over powered the sound of the alarm. Any way, after getting washed out today, I got a call from a buddy of mine that's never killed a bird. We're going to try it early in the morning and see what happens. I've got pretty high hopes for this trip.

Mtd69

hookedspur

Stay with-em , this has been my most frustrating season in a long time ...It will get better...
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

wvmntnhick

It's going to have to get better. Haven't had a bird cooperate since youth day. One will have to make a mistake eventually though.

eddie234

Good luck, I was finally able to call one in around 11 this morning. Couldn't  get him any closer than about 50 yards.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Ranger518SVS

I've been there many times, I know the felling