turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Happy 60th Birthday Gobbler to My Dad

Started by BennieGobbler, April 19, 2016, 10:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennieGobbler

On Sat 4/16 my Dad's 60th birthday in Doswell VA, I was able to call up a 2 toms to my Dad on his Bday.  Heard a total of 5 birds and two were close to each other.  Decided to set up on an old logging landing that had two roads coming into it.  We picked the left rd instead of the right rd.  They were gobbling hard on the roost.  Called a few tree calls and did a fly down cackle with a wing beating on the ground.  The gobblers shut up and I knew they were coming.  in about 5 mins you could hear the spitting and drumming but could only see a head once and awhile and they were on the right hand rd instead of the left where we were set up.  We could see the fans go up and down and they would gobble.  A few sweet soft notes with the Lonnie Snead hot hen and a cane creek tuff man mouth call and they were making their way across the landing which was very brushy and had tree laps in it.  They sounded like bear walking through it.  Once they came into our Rd my dad smoked this bird at 30 steps.  He got excited and didn't let the second one come out far enough for me to get a shot at the double!!  Anyways at 30 steps and hearing the spitting and drumming for 15 or more mins the action was super exciting.  What a great gift to call a bird in for my father on his 60th bday after all he has done for me!!  We set up on another bird after this and had him come within 30 yards but couldn't see for the under growth.  Finally heard a hen call and that was over quick.  On Sunday set up on another bird that we stuck at a different farm.  It was around 8 and he was on the ground Gobbling but going in the opposite direction.  We hustled to catch up where I thought we could call him back.  Once we set up and started calling he came right back but would not break the 60-70 yard mark where we could see.  He gobbled for 2 hrs in front of us strutting back and forth before he decided to head on his way gobbling off into the distance.  Tried every call on my vest and could get him to double gobble but would not pop over the hill or come in close enough.  Could not sneak away to call him to my father because we could see glimpses of him at all times or I think he would have been dead!  He better watch out for Wednesday when I have off work!!  I know his pattern now!!   Activity in Central VA seems to be heating up!!!
Print by Madison, on Flickr

SinGin

Thats a great birthday present. Hope I'm still able to chase them at 60

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Mike Honcho

That's awesome congrats to you and your dad!  I used to think 60 sounded old but I will be 58 in two months...sounds pretty young to me now LOL! I haven't slowed down on my hunting any at all!

maytom

Congrats to your dad!! At almost 62, I sure hope that I have many more exciting mornings under my belt as well!!! :gobble:

Happy

Congrats and happy birthday to your dad!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

That's pretty cool!   Congrats and happy birthday to your dad.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dr Juice

Haypatch

Congrats to yal! A birthday that wont soon be forgotten!

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

bmhern

What  a great birthday present for both of you!      :icon_thumright:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Mike Honcho on April 19, 2016, 12:58:15 PM
That's awesome congrats to you and your dad!  I used to think 60 sounded old but I will be 58 in two months...sounds pretty young to me now LOL! I haven't slowed down on my hunting any at all!
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
I'm 55 and still work as an engine company Lieutenant at my FD. :firefighter: I'm an old man in a young man's job, but this old man still hangs with the boys!! I retire next year, and plan on giving the turks even more hell than I already do!! :icon_thumright: :fud: :turkey: :funnyturkey:

Congrats BennieGobbler to you and your Dad on a fantastic birthday hunt!!  :icon_thumright:

boomer

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk