turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Really short barrel shortcomings?

Started by Sealbilly, April 17, 2016, 11:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sealbilly

I have heard that the really short barrels need more choke.  Is this true and what kind of numbers are you really short barrel guys getting.  I would love to have a 21" barrel for my gun but I have no experience with barrels shorter than 24".   The guy at comp n choke told me to stay away from them that short but every time I see one with a ultra short barrel I'm like :drool:.  They have to be very handy when slipping around in thick cover when trying to move on stubborn toms. 

RemingtonRules

I just wish I could get a plain barrel with no rib.  That would save weight and I do not need the rib since I use sights. 

I am in the 23 inch club.  I don't think I would want to go shorter.  I don't see a lot of gain.  If that 2 inches makes a difference moving, it is too thick for a turkey to walk through.

SinGin

I used to hunt with an 18 in barrel and I shot about 20 birds with it and only one miss. And one of those kills was waaayyyy further than I thought it was and wouldn't take that shot again. I think you may loose  some knock down power with the shorter ones.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: gobblegobblegobble on April 17, 2016, 12:37:46 PM
You won't lose much of anything with a short barrel. Pattern is based on choke and shell combo.

I just had a single shot cut off to 18.5". The only downside I can see is that it's much easier to be careless and sweep your own head with the muzzle while moving it around in the blind. A longer barrel stays up above your head.

Nailed it.

Sealbilly

RemingtonRules,  I'm not hunting in the thickets im slipping through them so I won't be seen in the fields.

G-12

Troy, welcome to OG...glad you joined up Ole buddy

mikejd

I have 2 winchester 1300 shorts. Wich have 18" barrels and I have no problem whatsoever putting over 200 hits in a 10 with many different choke and ammo combinations. No need to ever hunt a longer barrel.

Dr Juice

Go for it. I have a short barrel on my 1187 and it shoots awesome. Load and choke combo is the key. Good luck.

Farmboy27

You might get a little better patterns with a longer barrel and you'll defiantly get a little more velocity with a longer barrel. Would you ever notice either when shooting a turkey?  I really doubt it. I use 24-26 inch barrels because I like using beads and find a longer barrel and sight plane makes me more accurate. But if you use optics or sights then that doesn't matter.

Sealbilly

K, thanks guys.

G12, I figured that was you.

Sealbilly

Thanks farm boy, I hadn't thought of that with the sights and long barrel.  I like bead sights too.  I want my shotgun to be a shotgun.

Tom Foolery

20" on my 12 gauge and a 21" on my 20 gauge.  I use after market rifle sights on mine because neither shot to point of aim and I like rifle sights.  I am a fan on me and my gun being as effective as possible.  I've killed them with double beads but it's easier for me to stay down on the shot with rifle sights so that's what I use. 

tha bugman

I had my 870 shortened from 26 to 21 and love it!  Amazing how much of a difference in carrying that makes to me anyways.

Oconeeguy

Had a mossy 535 with 20" barrel. That thing was LOUD with the short barrel. Also compared my dads mossy 500 with 28" barrel at the range. Used same she'll and choke. 28" barrel patterned tighter in our side-by-side experiment. Would never go shorter than about 24-26.

grayfox

I've hunted with shotguns with barrels from 18.5 to 30" long over the years. I deer hunted as a teenager with a Remington Sportsman 58 12 gauge with a 30" full choke barrel. Seemed like when I laid it in the truck the barrel was against the floorboard & the butt of the stock against the back of the seat. LOL. I think I hit every tree & branch in the woods with it or it seemed like it anyway. That was back in the days when you were told from the time you were a little boy that it took a long barrel 30" or longer to get a good tight pattern. Now we all know different. For dove hunting I still like a 26-28" longer barrel but for the wooded areas that I turkey hunt now I use a 21" barrel on my 870 & absolutely love it. I won't argue that the shorter barrels are louder, have more muzzle blast & might not pattern as well as the longer barrels but I'm still sticking with my short barrel for turkey hunting. It's so much easier to carry & get around with in the woods. If you are using the barrel bead or regular sights then the longer sighting radius on a longer barrel might help you hit more precisely but I have a red dot on mine so it's no issue for me. If you think you might want a short barrel than give it a try. You might just like it.