turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommendation for a good hunting/hiking boot

Started by lowoctane, April 15, 2016, 05:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowoctane

:funnyturkey: Been scouting with lengthy sessions and my old reliable boots have seen better days...my feet are killing me! Any out there around 150 that will be kind to my feet?  :camohat:
Oh, forgot to mention GoreTex a must.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

TauntoHawk

I absolutely love the cabelas miendl  ultralight boots

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

spaightlabs

I've had great luck with the Under Armour Wall Hangers I got - comfortable as as slipper and great support.

Dr Juice

Ozark870Hunter

United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

renegade19

Quote from: Ozark870Hunter on April 15, 2016, 07:59:37 PM
My feet like Danner.

Mine too.  Danner Mountain Light II for me.  At my age, the pair I got for Christmas a couple years ago will last the rest of my life.  Took me over 20 years to wear out the last pair.  Soles were almost slick but they still didn't leak.  Great product.

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

catman529

Using a pair of Irish Setter Vaprtrek this season that I bought shortly before turkey season. So far, they are comfortable and lightweight, and keep out the dew from the grass. Have crossed a few ditch/creeks with no issues. Only time will tell how long they hold up - I've heard they are only good for 1 or 2 seasons. They also run a little small for the size, so order a size bigger if you buy online. Mine are a little tight but still have plenty of toe room, and I can wear them all day and not think much about my feet for the whole day. So far so good

WiLL B

I cruise timber for a living and hunt for fun. Danner Pronghorns are what I wear for both.

55esox

wvspitndrum

Cabelas Meindl Perfekt Hunters , by far the best boots I've ever owned !!

wvmntnhick

All of the boots mentioned above are good choices. The one good thing about the cabelas boots is that they carry a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure about the others. All of my boots from now on will be manufactured by one of the 3 companies listed above. Never owned a pair of Danner's but I've yet to hear a bad thing about them from anyone. I've got some Irish setter boots now that I've had a few years. Only wear them when the temps are real cold but they've done very well. I think you'll be happy with any of the above mentioned boots.

FlyFishNut

I killed 3 birds with one stone:  LaCrosse rubber/snake boot. Alpha Burley I think is the model.  Was on sale for $129 a few weeks ago at Cabelas.   
1.  Snake Proof
2.  Rubber - waterproof/scent benefits
3.  Comfort (This was REALLY important to me).

I tried on lots of different boots and this was the most comfortable.  I walk ALOT when I hunt.  I choose to walk in vs use my 4 wheeler b/c I enjoy it and like the exercise. 

When hunting quail or pheasant I like Irish setter leather, traditional style boots.  Just over the ankle.  Super comfy.  My son has since purloined my boots so I need to buy another pair.  I'll either get irish setters or Danners. 

SnapT

I went with the Irish Setter Vaportrek . They fit like my sneakers and are light but with a great deal of ankle support . Only put on a few miles on them so far (still some breaking in to do) but they feel good on my feet .  I tried on a pair of Rockey's that were on sale (actually was planning to get them) and they hurt my feet before I even did up the laces .    On boots I would definitely try them on before you buy . Everyone has told me that if they hurt in the store they will hurt in the field .                 
  Keep in mind though I'm new .

cheers

Bill Cooksey

Asking about a hunting and hiking boot makes me think you might hunt a lot of steep and rocky terrain. If that's the case, my suggestion probably isn't appropriate. That said, I've been wearing nothing but the standard (all rubber) LaCross Burleys for about twenty years. The Alphas just don't hold up as well in the terrain I frequent as saw briars and barbed wire tend to eat them up.

One day I might be on high ground, and the next is a swamp, or I could see a mix during one hunt. Can't count the days I've logged 10+ miles in those boots without issue. They're waterproof, comfortable, rugged and pretty dang cheap. Another plus is that by tucking my pants into those boots, I have almost zero incidents of ticks below the waist. That said, they would not be my choice for mountainous terrain.